Come help manage invasive plants in Mission Bay to restore nesting habitat of the California Least Tern (an endangered species) and to create space for native coastal dune plants.
The event will be on Sunday, October 9th from 9:30 am-12:30 pm. The meeting location will be on the northern edge of Fiesta Island in Mission Bay. See the following for directions:
- From 5 South, take exit 21 to merge onto Sea World Dr/Tecolote Rd. Turn right onto East Mission Bay Dr. Take your first left onto Fiesta Island Rd.
- From 5 North, take exit 21 to merge onto Sea World Dr/Tecolote Rd. Turn left onto East Mission Bay Dr/Tecolote Rd. Turn right onto East Mission Bay Dr. Take your first left onto Fiesta Island Rd.
- Once on Fiesta Island: Slight right to stay on Fiesta Island Rd. At the fork, go right. Do not follow signs to the San Diego Youth Aquatic Center, just continue down the road. After about a quarter mile, park on the right hand side, off the road.
- If you start to curve left and wrap around the island, you’ve gone too far. You’ll be looking for a chain link fence with a gate in it and signs that say "California least tern nesting area". The Audubon truck should also be visible.
Volunteers should wear long pants and sturdy shoes, and sun/rain protection as weather indicates. Work gloves will be provided, but volunteers are encouraged to bring their own pair if available. We’ll have water, but don't forget to bring a reusable water bottle for refills!
For questions/directions/RSVP: Call or email our Conservation Project Coordinator, Megan Flaherty at email@example.com or (858) 273-7800 x106.
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- 3 hours
- Minors will require waivers signed by a legal guardian.