The primary responsibility will be to assist the Advocacy Manager on various local and state-wide policy initiatives. As part of our advocacy team, the intern will work to improve cities to benefit children and adults with lung disease and to help future Californians breathe easier. The intern will join our advocacy team in creating smokefree multi-unit housing, smokefree outdoor areas, and other projects.
Responsibilities include: grassroots organization, data management, research, health fairs/community event participation, outreach and education. Other projects supporting different functions may be assigned.
Flexible to work on evening or weekends as needed. Minimum 12 hours per week for duration of internship, hours are flexible. Must be committed to coming into office at 3325 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles.
1. Must be a non-smoker
2. Bachelor’s degree preferred, but exceptional undergraduate students/candidates encouraged to apply
3. Interest in tobacco control, public health, social justice, and political change
4. Experience with community organizing
5. Have strong research, writing, interpersonal, and time management skills
6. Have great communication, presentation and/or public speaking skills
7. Have reliable transportation
8. Understanding of LSES and/or minority communities
9. Able to communicate clearly in English (Bilingual Spanish speakers highly encouraged to apply)
10. Familiarity with the Latin@ Community
11. Able to dress and function professionally as part of formal meetings with an elected governing body.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Include title of the opporunity, your availability, and how you heard about the position.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Orientation or Training
- 12-25 hrs/week, minimum 4 month commitment