BTGB is currently seeking experienced teachers with a passion for urban education to train, mentor, and support our young teaching staff as Instructional Coaches. Instructional Coaches are responsible for overseeing our Teaching Fellows in delivering instructional content in a structured and supportive classroom setting for middle school students. Through regular observation and coaching, Instructional Coaches help BTGB Teaching Fellows learn to teach effectively, plan diligently, and become immersed in education.
ABOUT THE AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM
BTGB’s After School Program is designed for students to connect with the Breakthrough community, receive support on school work, and gain exposure to exciting, rigorous content. Teachers in the program engage with students in educational activities such as chess and juggling before heading to homework support, where they help small groups of students with their schoolwork. Each session concludes with academic workshops that teachers lead on topics including spoken word, engineering by design, chemistry of cooking, and web design.
CAMPUS Specific Details
Location: TechBoston Academy, Dorchester (www.techbostonacademy.org)
Position Length: February - June
Program Dates: Every Wednesday
Program Hours: 11:00 am-2:30 pm
Grades Level of Students: 7th and 8th
Location: Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, Cambridge (www.crls.cpsd.us)
Position Length: February - June
Program Dates: Every Monday
Program Hours: 3:00 pm-6:30 pm
Grade Level of Students: 7 th and 8 th
- Attend a training workshop on Breakthrough instructional methodology and help lead a training workshop for teachers
- Provide guidance for teachers in writing lesson plans and classroom management plans
- Observe 6-8 teachers and conduct follow-up conferences to provide feedback
- Participate in the creation and critique of lesson plans
- Provide advice and instruction on "hands-on" teaching techniques and resources
- Provide advice and instruction on classroom and behavior management strategies
- Provide summative evaluations for teachers
- A minimum of 2 years teaching experience (3+ years preferred); a plus if in urban environments
- Teaching degree or certification strongly preferred
- Commitment to and passion for teaching
- Understanding of the social, emotional, and cognitive development of middle school students
- Ability to work with students from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds
- Ability to deliver positive, constructive, and honest feedback
- Outstanding presentation, writing, and organizational skills
This is a stipend position.
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in Breakthrough Greater Boston and relevant skills/experience to Michael Chan (email@example.com) with the subject line "After School Program Instructional Coach." Please make sure to indicate whether you are interested in working at the Boston campus, the Cambridge campus, or either.
For more information, please visit www.breakthroughgreaterboston.org.
Candidates for employment and employees are considered without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, citizenship, military status, gender identity, genetic disposition or carrier status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Thank you for your interest in Breakthrough Greater Boston!
- Teaching / Instruction
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training