Do you love animals, especially sloths? Do you love the idea of conservation work? Do you dream about working in a beautiful tropical country helping a growing, non-profit expand its operation and meet its vision of making this world a better place? Are you a talented marcom professional who wants to give back? If so, we need you!
The Sloth Institute Costa Rica (TSI) seeks a Sloth Marketing Communications Intern. TSI was founded in 2014 for the purpose of enhancing the welfare of captive and wild sloths through research and education and to collaborate with sloth rescue programs to assist with the care, raising and release of orphaned sloths. TSI is a legal non-profit in Costa Rica and fiscally sponsored by a US 501(c)(3) tax deductible non-profit. Our headquarters and project are located in the Manuel Antonio rainforest maritime zone property at Tulemar Gardens.
TSI has a three part mission:
1) RESEARCH of captive and wild sloths.
2) COLLABORATION with other institutions that work with sloths around the world.
3) EDUCATION to generate and disseminate responsible and balanced information about sloths to the public.
The Sloth Institute Costa Rica (TSI) is looking for a Marketing Communications Intern to support the Executive Director with TSI’s marketing communication goals. This position, is a volunteer non-paid internship, and includes housing and is located in the heart of Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica.
We are looking for an active, passionate, creative multi-talented individual to help us meet our marketing goals, to assist with providing content (photos/videos) and to manage the team of marketing volunteers.
The TSI Marketing Intern would work 6 days a week, 8 hours a day both outdoors and indoors. This person must be extremely dedicated to sloth/wildlife conservation. This person should have relevant photography and video skills (and a digital camera/video) and be great at coordinating teams.
Description of Internship post:
- Manage team of virtual volunteers, projects and provide input and content for marketing plan
- Take photos and videos on a weekly basis for SM needs
- Review all SM platforms and
- Establish and measure metrics and measure performance goals
- Create content for newsletters and SM and marketing campaigns
- Manage SM and marketing calendar
- Create campaign timelines, roles and responsibilities, work plans and presentations
- Assist with website updating and enhancement project
- Calendarize marketing plans
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions and venues for marketing and communications.
All applicants must be very organized, demonstrate photography/video/computer skills, excellent communication skills, a strong interest in animal welfare and conservation, creative and a self-starter. Must be non-smoker.
A background in education, conducting tours, photography and video
Knowledge of Microsoft Word programs and SM tools
Some coursework or experience in zoology, environmental education, wildlife ecology a plus.
Experience traveling to a tropical country and living in remote conditions are a plus.
Spanish language skills are strongly considered.
Must complete required vaccinations and purchase current international health insurance while in Costa Rica.
Additional Items to Bring:
Snake proof boots
Serious raingear, including heavy duty rain poncho
Comfortable clothing, preferably quick-dry. Clothes get destroyed in the jungle, so bring plenty of shirts/tank tops and shorts
Khaki field shorts (3-4 pairs)
Unlocked smart phone
Waterproof case for phone
Camera/basic video equipment and dry bag
Salary/Funding: This is a voluntary self-funded position. You will be responsible for all travel expenses/flights and immigration expenses. Shared room in an offsite fully furnished apartment and food is provided.
Term of Appointment: TSI is looking to bring on this position as soon as possible. Must be willing to stay at least six months.
To Apply, send by Nov. 5, 2016:
Send resume and letter of interest to email@example.com
Create and provide a sample of your portfolio and/or why you would be a great fit in a 2-3 minute video
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 22
- 6 months
- see description