DC Audubon Society, a chapter of the National Audubon Society, is seeking to fill two vacancies on the Board of Directors for a term beginning October 2016. Directors serve in a volunteer capacity for a renewable one-year term.
The mission of the DC Audubon Society is to promote the appreciation and conservation of birds and their habitats through the participation of those in the DC area. The Board of Directors oversees all governance aspects of the organization and manages all chapter programs and activities, including community bird walks, educational programs in DC, community outreach, and advocacy for conservation of birds and their habitat. For information on the current Board of Directors visit https://audubondc.org/board-of-directors/.
For the Oct. 2016 - Oct. 2017 term we are especially seeking candidates with strong nonprofit governance experience, for example board operations, corporate compliance, fundraising, and strategic planning. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The Chapter is committed to developing a Board of Directors that is representative of the diverse population of the District of Columbia. Directors are not required to reside within the District of Columbia.
Responsibilities of Directors of the DC Audubon Society (DCAS) include:
- Demonstrate support for DCAS mission by promoting its good work, generating goodwill for the organization, encouraging support for its efforts, and keeping informed about its programs and activities.
- Be a member in good standing and make a financial contribution to DCAS to the best of your ability.
- Regularly attend monthly Board meetings.
- Participate in DCAS events, which include the annual general membership meeting, periodic (annual or biennial) Board retreats, and community outreach events.
- Contribute knowledge and skills in areas that support the DCAS Strategic Plan, including serving on at least one committee.
- Participate in ongoing strategic planning.
- Set procedures and policies to ensure that the corporation is organized and managed in an accountable, fair and systematic manner and in compliance with applicable law.
- Support review and approval of an annual budget and ensure DCAS finances are managed in a sound and ethical manner.
- Participate in fundraising activities to support DCAS operations, programs and services.
- Help DCAS reach diverse communities and grow its membership.
- Act in the best interest of DCAS and avoid conflicts of interest.
How To Let Us Know You’re Interested
If you have a passion for birds and bird conservation and are interested in opportunities to lead in a nonprofit setting, please email a statement of interest and your resume (or summary of relevant experience and qualifications) to email@example.com by September 24, 2016.
- Strategic Planning
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Environmental Education
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Minimum of 2 hours per month