BGCM! (Because God Chose Me!) Community Center & Sportsplex, is a 501c3 nonprofit academic, arts & athletic center for youth & families founded on Christian principles, and is dedicated to instilling in each member that they have been specifically chosen by God to do magnificent things! We specialize in improving the self esteem of youth and families in suburban as well as underrepresented and underprivileged communities, while promoting integrity and stewardship, and offering youth an innovative opportunity to train, excel, and compete academically, artistically, and athletically.
We are seeking a SUPER FANTASTIC enthusiastic Girls Who Code (GWC) Instructor for the 2016-2017 academic year from Fall 2016 - May 2017. This is a FREE program offered to girls (but open to boys) in grades 6-12. Successful instructors will come from a variety of backgrounds, including industry and academia. Girls Who Code welcomes male instructors. Visit girlswhocode.org to learn more about GWC. Visit http://www.bgcme.org/girls-who-code.html for exact class dates.
Instructors will lead Girls Who Code classes through the curriculum every week. Instructors must be comfortable implementing and explaining basic programming concepts such as variables, loops, conditionals, and functions; Computer Science degree preferred but not required.
Benefits of working with BGCM:
- Gain professional work experience.
- Gain experience at a unique social entrepreneurship that has a global impact.
- Work in a positive, well-balanced environment.
- Collaborate within a positive team atmosphere.
- Work directly to close the gender gap for computer science education for girls nationwide
- Expose girls in underserved areas to a comprehensive and unique computer science education
- Interact with some of the largest tech companies and leaders in the industry
- Develop leadership skills and positively impact and give back to your community
- Empower and equip 1 million girls by 2020 with the skills they need to pursue careers in STEM
ALL APPLICANTS MUST EMAIL A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO BGCME.ORG TO BE CONSIDERED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Candidates MUST also visit www.bgcme.org to learn more about our organization in preparation for a possible interview this week.
Enrollment in a Certificate, Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Program in computer science or equivalent, preferred but not required. College credit can be arranged.
Employment in a technology related field preferred but not required.
- Candidate MUST work proficiently with a great level of autonomy.
- Must have outstanding organization and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must have a passion for youth and a heart to serve; committed to learning alongside your students.
- Must be independent, open-minded, enthusiastic, adaptable, and must be able to work in a team environment, independently, and with a great deal of autonomy.
- Must welcome new challenges, come up with fresh ideas and future focus, and be able to work in a fast paced environment in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Must be available 3-4 hours for GWC classes, which includes prep and travel time.
- Prior teaching or tutoring experience preferred, but not required.
- Candidate will need to take and pass the GWC 2016 Clubs Facilitator Technical Assessment.
- Proficient in back-end programming language, intermediate knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- The most successful volunteer instructors have had some type of teaching experience or experience working with youth, such as teaching assistants, camp counselors, or tutors (but not required).
- Ideal candidates include (but are not limited to):
- Current or former software developers
- Current undergraduate or graduate computer science major or minors
- Meet the estimated minimum time commitment of 8 hours per month from fall 2016 - May 2017
- Host regular club sessions, either every week for 2 hours or 4 hours, or every other week for 4 hours, as predetermined by BGCM
- Travel to club site to teach classes
- Submit completed student projects and code to Girls Who Code
- Fulfill communication and reporting requirements in accordance with BGCM and Girls Who Code Club standards.
- Possibly work with BGCM and Girls Who Code staff to organize activities that expose girls to the tech world, including field trips to tech companies and bringing in guest speakers
Status: Intern, Extern or Volunteer (Unpaid)
Number of Positions Available: 5 (On-site)
Facility Address: 37 Vanderburg Rd, Marlboro, NJ 07746
- SQL / MySQL
- Basic Computer Skills
- Computer Science
- Professional Development
- Youth Services
- IT Consulting
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 3-4 Hours/per week
- IMMEDIATE OPENING: Event...
- IMMEDIATE OPENING: Senior Grant...
- IMMEDIATE NEED: Girls Who Code...
- IMMEDIATE OPENING: Human...
- IMMEDIATE OPENING: Creative Arts...
- IMMEDIATE OPENING: Research...
- IMMEDIATE OPENING: Site Manager
- IMMEDIATE OPENING: Social Media...
- IMMEDIATE OPENING FOR SUMMER-...
- IMMEDIATE OPENING: STEM...
- IMMEDIATE OPENING: Literacy...
- IMMEDIATE OPENING: Assistant to...
- IMMEDIATE OPENING: Tutors...
- IMMEDIATE OPENING: Health Care...
- IMMEDIATE OPENING: Behavioral...
- IMMEDIATE OPENING:...