24 people are interested
FCMoD Gallery Host
ORGANIZATION: Fort Collins Museum of Discovery
Please visit the new page to apply.
24 people are interested
Purpose of Position: Gallery Hosts ensure a positive museum experience for our visitors. Gallery Hosts also serve a critical role in FCMoD’s Visitor Experience Team (VET) services by engaging with guests, assisting and directing guests, and monitoring and maintaining the gallery floor and exhibits. Gallery Hosts encourage visitors to explore and learn from our interactives and exhibits. Ideally, Gallery Hosts commit to three shifts per month. Gallery Hosts are not necessarily docents or expected to know deep content or history/science, but instead have a passion and enthusiasm for learning, discovery and exploration of the museum and a willingness to share this with visitors.
Responsibilities of Position: Most volunteers feel comfortable and flexible in this essential museum volunteer position by sharing their passion for FCMoD with visitors. The Gallery Host position allows volunteers to learn more about FCMoD, engage with visitors, interact closely with staff, and learn more about our educational programming.
Once an applicant is selected for a volunteer position at the museum, a background check must be completed. Assigned volunteers and their designated supervisor will develop and sign a Volunteer Assignment Agreement. New volunteers are required to attend a General Orientation, in addition to any department-specific training. More details on these processes will follow.
Teens ages 14- 17 please complete a Teen Application; Adults 18 and up please complete an Adult Application through FCMoD’s website.
- Greet guests and inquire about their visit to FCMoD
- Focus on customer service and help guests with any needs or questions
- Model or prompt proper use of exhibit components
- Notify staff of any safety concerns, exhibit malfunctions, or other issues that require attention
- Announce programs of the day to guests
- Walk throughout the gallery regularly to pick up wayward or lost items
- Direct guests to restrooms, the Digital Dome, water fountains, eating areas, etc.
- Prohibit food or drinks from being consumed on the gallery floor
- Redirect behaviors which could damage, malfunction, or harm exhibits
- Positively intervene to prevent behaviors which may not be safe to other guests
- Report broken exhibits, or cleaning needs to staff for maintenance
Skills, knowledge, and qualities needed:
- Detail oriented
- Clear communication
- Friendly and approachable demeanor
- Able to adhere to instructions and procedures
- Comfortable working with the public of all ages, as well as large groups of people
- Eager to learn and teach
- Responsible and dependable
- Previous customer service experience or experience assisting public events, organization outreach, or previous volunteering is helpful but not required
About Fort Collins Museum of Discovery
408 Mason Court, Fort Collins, CO 80524, US
The museum creates meaningful opportunities to learn, reflect, and have fun through hands-on and collections-based explorations in science and culture.
Combining science with history and culture, the Fort Collins Museum of Discovery (FCMoD) connects you to a deeper understanding of your world and your place in it, from our local community to the global community beyond. FCMoD is a place where people can come together for shared events and experiences, a place for building community while providing inspiration and insight. This is the vision of the FCMoD, to create meaningful opportunities for people of all ages to learn, reflect, and have fun through hands-on and collections-based explorations in science and culture.
408 Mason CourtFort Collins, CO 80524
September 5, 2023
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Group Facilitation
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- Gallery Host shifts are currently listed as 10:00am – 12:00pm, or 1:00pm – 3:00pm, Tuesday – Sunday. Schedules for this volunteer position are flexible.
- All volunteers must complete a volunteer application through our website and attend a General Orientation, offered monthly. All volunteers are also required to pass a general background check.