We need 1 volunteer for 4 hours/week to assist with a group of high school juniors in Peabody. The group runs every Tuesday from 2:15-5:15pm at Peabody Veteran’s Memorial High School (485 Lowell St, Peabody, MA 01960). We focus on resume writing, career exploration, college research, etc. The cohort size is currently 15-20 students.
To assist the College Success Program staff in running the weekly high school junior group (acting like a teacher’s aide). Although there is no "typical day" at the program, what would be expected during weekly group meetings is:
- Setting up the room, putting out the snacks, writing agenda on board for students, and turning on computers
- Taking attendance, reminding students of upcoming meetings and following up with students who are not meeting attendance standards
- Monitoring and assisting students as they work on assigned tasks (such as resume writing, registering for college entrance exams like SAT’s, Subject Tests, and ACT’s)
- Cleaning up and putting away snacks
- Reflecting on the lesson and what the students got out of the activities so we can make changes for the future
This would be a great opportunity for someone interested in education, social work or non-profit work. Experience with first generation college students is a plus.College students looking to satisfy a college requirement for field placements/internships or service learning are welcomed to apply.
We are really looking for someone who can commit to either a full semester (Sept.-Dec. or Jan.-June) or an entire academic year. The group runs every Tuesday from 2:15-5:15pm but the volunteer hours needed are 1:45-5:30pm.
If interested please email Elizabeth "Betty" Haggerty at email@example.com.
Please specify whether you can commit to 1 semester or a full year.
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 4 hours/week