Everglades National Park is the largest subtropical wilderness in the United States, covering 1.5 million acres of South Florida! The Park protects an unparalleled landscape that provides an important habitat for numerous rare and endangered species like the manatee, American crocodile, and the elusive Florida panther.
Park rangers are the key interpretive guides to helping our visitors experience the Park’s amazing natural and cultural resources. Each year, Everglades National Park receives about 1 million visitors from around the world! Most individuals visit the park during the winter dry season, which spans from November-April.
We are looking for a pair of volunteers to join our team of Interpretive Guides for this upcoming winter season in Pine Island! These individuals will assist with all areas of interpretive services, assisting at the Ernest F. Coe Visitor Center, leading and presenting programs, and helping to staff the Reception desk at Park Headquarters.
Volunteers will be provided with training by Everglades National Park, and will work under the guidance and support the Pine Island District Interpreter and Interpretation staff.
Housing (RV pad and hookups) is available to volunteers who complete the minimum number of service hours (32 hours/week). We only have 1 trailer pad available for this position, so a pair or a couple would be ideal.
Volunteer duties may include the following
- Provide personal, interpretive services to park visitors
- Present thematic programs including, but not limited to, illustrated talks, guided walks, off-trail hikes, bikes and slough-slogs (a.k.a. wet walks)
- Conduct roving interpretation on one or several trails in Pine Island, making contact with park visitors, providing information about park resources and answering visitors’ questions
- Provide visitors with a general orientation to park recreational opportunities and natural and cultural resources at the Ernest F. Coe Visitor Center
- Assist with opening and closing procedures at the Ernest F. Coe Visitor Center
- Occasionally staff the Reception desk at Park Headquarters, up to 2x per week (may include weekends)
Requirements and Qualifications
- At least 18 years of age
- Valid driver’s license
- Enjoy working with the public
- Ability to effectively communicate with people of all ages
- Knowledge and/or a willingness to learn about the natural and cultural resources of Everglades National Park
- Ability to endure occasional "strenuous" labor and activities (i.e. standing for hours in the Visitor Center, leading bike hikes and hikes through the slough)
- Volunteers will be expected to work throughout the season, which lasts from November-April
- 32 hours/week to qualify for park housing
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Free RV pad provided to individuals who volunteer a minimum of 32 hours/week
- Receive a volunteer uniform, provided by the park
- Gain skills and experience in interpretation, public speaking, customer service and visitor interaction
- Learn more about the operation of the National Park Service
- Opportunities to meet members of the community and visitors from around the world
- Opportunities to share knowledge and passions with other individuals
- Opportunities to meet other park employees and volunteers
- Opportunities to gain volunteer recognition items, based upon cumulative volunteer hours
Click here to learn more about Everglades National Park. If you have any questions about this position, please contact Anna Lee at email@example.com or 305-242-7733.
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Environmental Education
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- November-April, 32 hours/week
- A couple/pair would be ideal for this position
- Shark Valley Visitor Center...
- Shark Valley Park Interpretation...
- Shark Valley Visitor Center...
- Concessions Management Assistant...
- Homestead Trolley Guide
- Park Interpretation and Canoe...
- Museum & Archival Collections...
- Pine Island Park Interpretation...
- Mail & Administrative Support...
- Every Kid in a Park (EKIP)...
- Housing Office Assistant (Park...