Opening Doors’ Prosperity Project provides funding, training, and counseling to existing and prospective small business owners in order to drive economic growth and create opportunities for businesses and individuals in our community.
The Prosperity Project program is committed to micro-enterprise development as an effective economic development strategy and poverty alleviation tool. Our first micro-loan was in 1999, and since then we have made more than $1.6 million in micro-loans to local entrepreneurs.
In 2012, the Prosperity Project expanded its microenterprise development program, from one that serves refugee clients only, to a program that provides financing to the broad cross section of Sacramento area entrepreneurs, thus filling a dire need in the area market.
We are currently offering a unique internship opportunity to a highly-qualified individual with a passion for small business and community development.
Goal or purpose of position: This position provides a range of support activities for the Prosperity Project Microenterprise Program. For this position, we seek a well-organized, highly-motivated candidate with a background in, or passion to learn about: microenterprise and micro-finance, economic development and poverty mitigation, and the small business lending environment in the Sacramento area.
Major responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the recordkeeping and loan file maintenance of the Project’s loan programs.
- Assist in the maintenance, update, and accuracy of existing loan program databases and in the investigation of more effective data management platforms.
- Compile and input client and program data in various databases and loan management software.
- Perform research into market conditions, potential client needs, lending best practices and policies, loan documentation, etc.
- Assist with the planning and coordination of various events, including workshops, classes, webinars, fundraisers, etc.
- Assist in the development and implementation of marketing and outreach strategies, including the composition of relevant feature articles for the Prosperity Project newsletter.
- Provide administrative support to the Prosperity Project Director and other program staff.
- Assist in the administration and reporting of active funding agreements, as well as research new funding proposals.
Qualifications (required, desired):
- Strong research skills; ability to collect, compile, input, and analyze various data.
- Solid business writing skills (writing samples will be required from applicants).
- Competency in Microsoft Word and other MS Office suite products; understanding of Microsoft Access and SQL a plus.
- Strong verbal communications skills, including professional , articulate phone skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Outstanding academic record; however, a "Can-Do" attitude and eagerness to learn are preferred.
- Fluency in any of the following languages is a plus, but not required: Spanish, Dari/Farsi, Russian/Ukrainian, Arabic.
- Firm understanding of financial statements and financial analysis is preferred.
- Ability to learn new software quickly is a plus.
Time commitment: (hours/week; time of day) If the applicant is seeking college internship credit, the applicant will need to provide the total hour requirement need to obtain approved credit from their college. If the applicant is seeking to volunteer, there is no minimum nor maximum hour requirement . At the end of the tenure program the applicant will receive a letter of recommendation and Opening Doors management will gladly provide referrals upon request.
Work location: Opening Doors’ office, 1111 Howe Ave, Suite 125, Sacramento CA 95825
- Building connections in regional business and non-profit communities
- Exposure to opportunities to launch career
- Develop financial analysis and language skills
- Further multi-cultural awareness
How to Apply: Interested candidates should email a resume, cover letter, and additional business writing sample to email@example.com. Include "Microenterprise Program Intern/Volunteer - [Your name]" in the subject line.
- Data Entry
- Project Management
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment