Stamford Dollars for Scholars is an all-volunteer nonprofit community organization whose mission is to provide scholarships to support local students in their pursuit of higher education. Since its inception in 2012, Stamford Dollars for Scholars awarded 107 scholarships to high school graduates, valued at $357,000. The Student Outreach Volunteer is an advocate for Stamford Dollars for Scholars, working as a team with the Student Outreach Coordinators to communicate with high school guidance counselors, provide scholarship application workshops to high school seniors, and to represent Stamford Dollars for Scholars at local events and college fairs. This position requires as-needed coordination by phone or in-person meetings; regularly, the Student Outreach Volunteer is expected to work independently. A minimum commitment of 4 hours per week between September and April is required.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Experience working with high school students or familiarity with scholarship or college application process.
- Demonstrated ability to work with computers.
- Self-directed, able to work autonomously, while understanding that collaboration will be essential.
- Must be able to schedule workshops during school hours.
- Must be available one to two evenings total to attend local college fairs.
- College or graduate students, entrepreneurs, retirees welcome.
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Youth Services
- General Education
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- A minimum of 4 hours/week and 2 nights total
- Must demonstrate proficiency with computerized applications.