Santa Cruz County - Volunteer Counselors to Assist on Weekend Trips w/Special Needs
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where102 Brook LaneBoulder Creek (13 mi fr. Santa Cruz), CA 95006
Welcome to Camping Unlimited! Since 1957, Camping Unlimited has offered exciting recreational-educational programs for children and adults of all disabilities. Participants with Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Autism and other physical/emotional challenges enjoy a wide variety of weekend programs with the assistance of our wonderful group of Volunteer Counselors and staff.
Campers, staff and Volunteers participate in a great selection of events for all to enjoy! We hike and explore beautiful state parks, cheer at sporting events, enjoy theatrical productions, picnics in the park, visit museums, community fairs, festivals and more. On certain weekends we head for the Santa Cruz Mountains and stay at Camp Krem, our nearly 100 acre resident camp in Boulder Creek. Among the California redwoods, we hike nature trails and together we dance, create with arts n'crafts, enjoy performing arts with karaoke, talent shows, skits. We also garden, play sports, games and have magical campfires celebrate with special events for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Campers adore our mini animal farm complete with Miss Piggy Smalls and many delightful chickens! So many experiences to love! Our Campers also trek to the snow country and out of town camping locations to enjoy other exciting type of adventure such as our favorite tradition, going to Apple Hill near Lake Tahoe in the fall.
Volunteers may assist with a variety of weekend options per their own availability. We are currently seeking Volunteer "Counselors" for our extremely popular weekend overnights. The typical schedules available to volunteer are:
1. Saturday Day Trips - 9 - 5
2. Saturday/Sunday weekend overnights, (includes a 1-night stay at our beautiful Camp Krem) Saturday, 9 - to Sunday 5
3. Or extended weekends from Friday at 3pm to Sunday at 5pm.
4. Special Travel Camps - TBA
RESPONSIBILITIES: Volunteers "Counselors" should be good role-models and mentors, offering friendship to children or adults of all ages and abilities. They assist with supervision, providing guidance and interacting during activities. They also help with meal times prep, cleanup and support Campers who need assistance with personal care.
Being a Volunteer Counselor can be both physically and emotionally challenging. Camp Counseling can also include strenuous activities and long hours. Volunteers become a part of our team and are provided with ongoing support and training by our experienced Program Director and staff.
* This is great experience for those interested in Careers such as; Medicine, Therapeutic Recreation, Education, Physical-Occupational Therapy.Our staff, Volunteers and Campers travel to all destinations via our Camping Unlimited bus. The trip pick up points are in Emeryville, San Jose (Campbell) and Boulder Creek, California. For Volunteers who live in the South Bay area, many weekend trips will be available where you may assist at the camp in Boulder Creek 13 miles from Santa Cruz. Volunteers may be able to drive to/from to the camp according to special scheduling.
There are no fees to become a Volunteer Counselor or to participate in any of our programs. All volunteers must complete an application, provide references and will be background checked.
TO APPLY : Visit our website and see our weekend programs available and apply online! http://campingunlimited.org/volunteer-opportunities/
See photos and videos taken on some of our wonderful trips on FACEBOOK "Camping Unlimited - Camp Krem".
Thank you for your interest in being a Camping Unlimited Volunteer!
Staff of Camping Unlimited
- Outdoor Recreation
- Child Care
- Special Needs
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Music Arts
- Theater Arts
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- See Schedule of Dates above.
- patience, maturity, sense of humor, good communication skills, able to assist special need campers