HFH in Monmouth County is seeking a ReStore Development VISTA who will develop, document and implement plans to increase volunteer, in-kind, and cash resources in the ReStore by creating volunteer programs, marketing plans, business systems and/or donation opportunities. The VISTA position will help to continue our revenue growth of the ReStore. The systems set in place by the VISTA members over the previous 2 years have enabled us to meet and exceed our expectations of breaking even within 2 years. This member will work to identify ways to improve those systems, increase our exposure within the community, increase our outreach potential by creating new partnerships with local organizations and significantly expanding our donor base.
The goals of this position are many and include the following:
- Develop, implement, and document sustainable marketing and outreach strategies that ultimately contribute towards an increase in unrestricted revenue from increased numbers of store purchases, donations, and expansion to more community/business groups to increase awareness of our presence in the area. An increase in unrestricted revenue will in turn enable the affiliate to serve more families and communities;
- Develop, document and implement new programs such as Home Demo Sales, DIY projects with local artists and designers.
- Research POS feature analysis and implementation.
- Develop programs with local businesses to increase our exposure to the community.
- Develop a strategy for finding, recruiting and retaining volunteers with specific skill sets that are needed in the ReStore.
- Develop a social media strategy for increasing our presence and building out our online platforms. Train staff and volunteers on usage and maintenance of our social media platforms.
- Identify and explore online sales and auction sites such as Ebay and determine their potential for increasing ReStore sales and revenue.
- Research and implement new partnerships, in addition to developing partnerships with previously identified local community service organizations.
- Develop and implement a ReStore donor recognition program. Create a ReStore donor directory database of local businesses and community partners that would be ideal donors and explore ways that we can work together to our mutual benefit.
- Draft feasibility study report and recommendations for a second store for review and consideration by board/staff.
- Cultivate a working model for a new in-store program based on the research findings in the community.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Personal vehicle required
- Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word/Excel)
- Knowledgeable about the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong research skills
- Detail oriented and highly organized
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Experience working as a member of a team
- Retail experience preferred
- A second language is highly desirable, with preferred languages being Spanish.
- Project management experience helpful
- Marketing experience is highly desirable
- Retail experience is highly desirable
Possess a sincere desire to serve others and are dedicated to Habitat’s mission
Have strong written and verbal communication skills
Have excellent attention to detail skills
Are able to work with a diverse group of people
Benefits of Service:
Skills for the future
Minimal living allowance (living allowance determined by county position is based in)
An education award of $5,775 or a cash stipend of $1,500 upon successful completion of service
Personal and sick leave
Health care benefit
Student Loan Forbearance (if eligible - Go to AmeriCorps.gov website to see if your loan would qualify)
Child care assistance (if eligible)
Non-competitive Hiring Status - When you satisfactorily complete one full year of service, they earn non-competitive eligibility for federal government jobs for one year after the member's service
What’s in it for you?
At the end of the service year, you will have gained new skills and expertise, developed new relationships, and maybe even become a member of a new community.
What’s needed to apply?
Resume (tell us about your experience)
Motivation Statement (this essay gives you the opportunity to express why you want to serve)
Requirements to serve at this site:
18 years of age or older
U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
Possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent (or agree to work towards one while serving)
Confirm understanding that this is a full-time volunteer opportunity and that AmeriCorps members receive a small living allowance
- Data Entry
- Program Management
- Basic Computer Skills
- Internet Research
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Microsoft Office Suite
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 Year Committment