The ASYMCA Inpatient Ward Visitor Volunteer plays an important role in bringing San Diego ASYMCA resources and services to patients receiving treatment at Naval Medical Center San Diego. The Inpatient Ward Visitor Volunteer will be assigned non-clinical patient care duties. Duties include visiting patient’s bedside, informing patients and family members about free services offered by the San Diego ASYMCA which can assist in making their hospitalization less stressful. In addition, the volunteer also offers and distributes a variety of entertainment, hygiene, practical and comfort items to inpatients. Lastly, volunteers communicate any temporary urgent needs requests to San Diego ASYMCA staff who will then try to meet the request. The inpatient program is overseen and managed by the Program Coordinator.
Hours: Minimum of four (3.5) hours and up to seven (7) hours per day
Daily Shifts: Monday thru Friday 8:30am to 12:00pm & 12:00pm to 3:30pm
Days: Minimum of two (2) days a month
Length of Expected Term: Minimum commitment of one (1) year
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- All applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- If selected, applicants must pass an extensive background check to be able to get access to the secure Naval Medical Center San Diego site/location
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Learn and become an expert on San Diego ASYMCA programs and services
- Must have excellent customer service skills
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills with the ability to empathize with patients and family member.
- Able to effectively communicate needs of patients/program to Program Coordinator
- Maintain a professional demeanor at all times
- Be reliable and punctual for assigned shifts
- Ensure patient privacy at all times
- Able to juggle multiple priorities in a complex and fast paced environment
- Flexible and able to work independently and collaboratively
- Adhere to Naval Medical Center standards and guidelines
- Comply with policies and procedures of the San Diego Armed Services YMCA
- Accept guidance and continued training from Program Coordinator
- Ensure the YMCA’s core values (responsibility, respect, caring, and honesty) are incorporated during each interaction with patients, family, staff and community members
- Other duties as assigned
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
This specific position requires the ability to use standard office equipment such as iPad, laptop, copy machine and telephone. It is essential that volunteers are able to effectively and efficiently be able to use Ipad’s to record visitations and items distributed.
HOW TO APPLY
Please visit www.ASYSD.org to submit a volunteer application online.
- People Skills
- Patient Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 8 hours per month for one year
- Must pass Occupational Health screening.