OpusCare of South Florida seeks to meet the total needs of the patients the organization serves. To that end, the Animal Assisted Therapy Program serves to be an additional therapy we can utilize to reduce the pain, stress, anxiety, depression and/or loneliness our patient population may experience at this time in their lives. We are looking for volunteers with Service Pets that can help us.
- Animal Assisted Therapy may be provided in nursing homes, assisted living and hospital settings.
- All handlers and their animals will be required to meet the training requirements set forth by the Humane Society of Greater Miami Pet Therapy Program.
- Assisted Animal Therapy will be used only with patients who have no contraindication for animal-assisted therapy (i.e., allergies, fear of animals, aggressive behavior, open sores or exposed areas of skin, HIV infection or immunoglobulin deficiencies). A physician order must be obtained prior to Animal Assisted Therapy being provided.
- OpusCare of South Florida will obtain authorization from a facility prior to scheduling any Animal Assisted Therapy visits for our volunteers to participate.
- The Humane Society of Greater Miami will provide OpusCare of South Florida with each handler’s & animal’s proof of completion regarding training and evaluation as required to become a member of the respective agency’s Animal Assisted Therapy Program.
- All handlers will be subject to meeting the requirements of OpusCare of South Florida’s patient care volunteer training.
- OpusCare of South Florida will maintain a volunteer file on each handler & their animal to include a veterinarian certificate inclusive of proof of vaccines and health status.
- Once a facility approves of handler & animal visits, OpusCare of South Florida will provide facility with an ongoing visitation schedule.
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training