Active Children Portland is a nonprofit organization that empowers students to lead healthy lives, succeed academically, and inspire positive community engagement. Our programs focus on helping all participants to develop the confidence and life skills they need to succeed.
Our mission is to empower students to lead healthy lives, succeed academically, and inspire positive community engagement. The organization began in 2011 with the vision to transform communities and serve hundreds of local students through youth sports. Active Children Portland program participants receive programming 30 weeks a year, 4 days per week, which keeps them active, healthy, and engaged in a positive and stable after-school environment. For the Fall 2016 season, Active Children Portland will be expanding its soccer program from 406 kids to 1,094, expanding to over 40 sites throughout Portland, Oregon and Vancouver, Washington. We are in need of volunteer assistant coaches at each of these sites to support the coach and the U.S. Soccer Foundation curriculum.
Position Title: Assistant Coach (volunteer)
- The fall program runs Monday-Thursday between 2 pm and 5 pm, for 8-10 weeks. More specific practice times depend on the program site.
- Volunteers have a choice in their program site - proximity to home or work is important!
- Assistant coaches should be able to commit to at least 1, ideally 2, days at the site per week for all weeks of the program. Consistency of coach-mentors is important to the kids we serve.
- Volunteers that are seeking experience in sports management, childhood development, education, coaching, or management within nonprofit organizations can significantly benefit from this opportunity.
- Assistant coaches over 18 years old must submit a background check with Active Children Portland.
- Assist coach with set up and take down of equipment
- Coach games and drills at practices
- Help with behavior management
- Tutoring/Homework help
- Utilize the provided Coach-Mentor curriculum
- Literacy / Reading
- Physical Education
- Sports Coaching
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- 8-10 weeks, 2-5 pm. Availability for 1-2 days/week