This volunteer will help the Yesler senior meal program run in a smooth and sustainable manner. They will support set-up, preparation, service and clean-up of meals, giving seniors time to build community while eating. Their support will also let the program use resources more efficiently (e.g. washing dishes instead of disposing). Note: 10+ week commitment requested.
- Support preparation and service of meal.
- Lead meal clean-up, including washing and sanitizing all service wares.
- Follow food sanitation and safety regulations.
- Help organize kitchen storage to maximize space.
- Interact with seniors in a respectful, culturally competent manner
- Interest/experience in cooking, nutrition, food safety and/or community development.
- Clear communication skills.
- High levels of dependability, flexibility and humility.
- Experience working with seniors (preferred).
- Familiarity with East African community (preferred).
- Gain knowledge and experience around cooking, nutrition, food safety and/or community development.
- Make professional contacts with Seattle Tilth staff, partner organizations, and volunteers.
- Share a delicious homemade lunch with East African elders
- Cooking / Catering
- Elder care
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Food Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Tuesdays and/or Saturdays 10am-1pm.
- More info at http://www.seattletilth.org/get-involved/volunteer/kitchen/yesler-senior-meal-support.