The Community Dinner Assistant works with Seattle Tilth’s Community Kitchens Northwest (CKNW) program manager to offer nutrition and culinary support to participants at monthly community dinners in Rainier Beach. This volunteer may also help with site set-up, kitchen management, menu planning and community engagement. Great opportunity for someone looking to support a wonderful community event while gaining experience related to cooking, nutrition, social work, public health or nursing.
Help community kitchen manager:
- Set up kitchen before dinner.
- Greet volunteers and community members.
- Support kitchen flow and food preparation as needed.
- Assist with menu planning and recipe development using seasonal produce.
- Facilitate cooking activities and interactive nutrition education with participants, as specified by manager.
- Practice and encourage general kitchen management including food safety protocols and first aid.
- Work with dinner participants to clean kitchen after event.
- Background or interest in nutrition, cooking, social work, public health or nursing
- Familiarity with Rainier Beach neighborhood/community.
- Clear and timely communication
- Experience and comfort working with diverse groups
- Current WA food worker permit
- Gain hands-on experience in the fields of nutrition, culinary arts and sustainable food systems.
- Develop professional contacts with Seattle Tilth staff and volunteers.
- Contribute to work around equitable and sustainable food systems.
- Enjoy building community with friends and neighbors around delicious food.
Important Dates and Deadlines: Priority will be given to applications received by Friday, September 2. This year’s first dinner takes place on Sunday, September 18.
- Cooking / Catering
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 12-6pm, third Sunday of every month Sep-June.
- For more info visit http://www.seattletilth.org/get-involved/volunteer/kitchen/rbck-dinner-assistant