Footprints, splatter patterns and the powers of observation mark the journey through The International Exhibition of Sherlock Holmes. The interactive experience combines science with history and culture to bring to life the historic underpinnings of author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s rich and vibrant stories.
Guests will learn how Sherlock Holmes, a scientific expert ahead of his time, used seemingly trivial observations of clues others missed to solve some of his era’s most mysterious crimes. His practices and techniques, created in the mind of doctor-turned-author Conan Doyle, changed the way police work was conducted and remain in practice today. The International Exhibition of Sherlock Holmes features original manuscripts and period artifacts, investigative tools influenced and used by Sherlock Holmes, and interactive crime-solving opportunities. Guests will be transported into Sherlock Holmes’ London to solve a crime in a world filled with innovation and experimentation - and just receiving its introduction to his ground-breaking methods.
The Sherlock Holmes Special Exhibit Volunteer plays a critical role in ensuring that guests enjoy a positive visit that stays with them after they leave and makes them want to return. Volunteers work closely with Guest Services staff to provide engaging customer service, guide guest experience and share information about the exhibit and Pacific Science Center. Upon completion of a 30-hour and three-month commitment, volunteers are eligible for a complimentary Pacific Science Center membership.
The exhibit runs from October 15, 2016 through January 8, 2017. For more exhibit information please visit https://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/the-sherlock-holmes-exhibition/
Reports To: Guest Services Volunteer Coordinator and Science Interpretation Programs Volunteer Coordinator
Position Start Date: October, 15 2016 (excluding training prior to start of exhibit)
Schedule: Minimum of one shift every two weeks, one shift weekly is strongly preferred. Shifts are available from 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. or 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. on the weekdays or 9:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. or 1:30 - 6:00 p.m. during the weekends. The Sherlock Holmes Special Exhibit Volunteers’ commitments end when exhibit closes with the option to continue volunteering.
* Foster a welcoming, enthusiastic environment for guests and proactively assist guests with questions, directions and information.
* Engage guests on topics related to exhibit content, with potential opportunity for additional interpretive activities.
* Ensure guests follow general Pacific Science Center rules. Be conscious of safety and security. Support the Exhibits, Science and Education, and Guests Services teams.
* Support daily operation procedures such as handing out materials, assisting with wayfinding, and guest issues as needed (e.g. lost parties, guests needing supervisor attention, etc.).
* Must be at least 14 years old
* Attend The Sherlock Holmes exhibit training to meet other staff and gain insider knowledge about the exhibit to share this information with guests
* Be comfortable standing and walking for extended periods of time
* Must pass a criminal background check
* Provide three positive references
Abilities and Personal Characteristics
* Enthusiasm for learning new information about the Sherlock Holmes exhibit and sharing this knowledge with others
* Passionate about guest engagement and ensuring guests have the best possible experience
* Excellent interpersonal skills
* Professional appearance
* Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation
* Ability to exercise sound judgement and flexibility should difficult situations arise
* A Science Center membership after three months, and thirty hours of volunteering
* Free parking or bus fare for days that you volunteer
* Opportunity to share your knowledge and skills
* Add to your resume and explore new careers
* Elevate your current skill set and showcase your talent
* Expand your network of contacts and raise your visibility
* Experience leadership and be part of a great team
TO APPLY: Apply online at the volunteer webpage at https://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/volunteers/
PACIFIC SCIENCE CENTER
Pacific Science Center inspires a lifelong interest in science, math and technology by engaging diverse communities through interactive and innovative exhibits and programs.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees. Pacific Science Center does not discriminate on the basis of any trait protected by law such as age, race, gender, veteran status, or disability in admission or access to, or employment in, its programs or other activities.
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Customer Service
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training