**Please note this is a 3-12 month position based in Ethiopia for September (flexible).All volunteer placements will contribute to the Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (RMNCH) project of Cuso International’s Volunteers for International Cooperation and Empowerment (VOICE) program, funded by the Canadian government through the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD), and Cuso International. The RMNCH project in Ethiopia focuses on Health Promotion and disease Prevention, Curative and Rehabilitative Services, Improving Human Capital and leadership through pre-service education, with an element of in-service training for faculty members and other health professionals in Benishangul Gumz Regional State, Bale Zone of Oromia Regional State, and Ministry of health and Ethiopian Midwifery Association.
The Ethiopia program will require a broad range of skills, including clinical health care, public health, health research, monitoring & evaluation, program development, communications, strategic planning, Information Communication Technology, medical equipment maintenance and mentors.
Placements will be of varying length, but generally placements will be between three months and one year. There will also be possibilities for volunteers to contribute to the program remotely as e-volunteers. E-volunteers can be those who volunteer their time before or after a placement in-country, but also for those who are unable to travel overseas but would like to contribute.
The volunteer will
- Conduct further baseline survey on RMNCH services, research and need assessment and develop partnership plan with respective sectors.
- Support local partner capacity development (mentorship, in clinical skills, promotion of institutional based in-service training, promotion of professional ethics, support in the development of innovative health education materials, etc).
- Provide technical advice for BSG RHB in delivering institutionalized CPD activities for HEWs, Midwives, and public health officers (1st phase-need assignment and 2nd phase-activity design and implementation).
- Build the capacity of Medawalabo university and Pawe health science college faculty members and technical support staffs to improve the quality of teaching-learning process through the use of ICT and running effective skill labs.
- Strengthening of capacity of partner organizations ( Ethiopian midwifery association and ministry of health and/or their networks) and support further development of monitoring and evaluation systems for partners.
Relevant qualification to field applied for and/or relevant experience
- At least 2 years experience in one's field, specialty or sector
- Knowledge of development of operational plans, policy briefs, and health strategies, health research, monitoring and evaluation are assets
Cuso International covers the following costs:
- Return airfare and visa/permit costs
- Accommodation while overseas
- Modest living allowance while overseas
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- The cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while overseas and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and in-country training orientation
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 12 months