**Please note this is a 12-month position based in Laos for October (flexible).
Open to Canadian Citizens Only
The purpose of this placement is to improve and diversify farmers’ incomes exploring market potential for improved/ diversified production and upgrading of value chains for conventional vegetable and fruit production. It is hoped that new potential markets including access to export and inter-provincial trade will be developed as well as the adaptation of low cost sustainable agriculture techniques that are resilient to the impacts of climate change.
The volunteer will
- Work with relevant partners (government, iNGOs, Local Associations & private sector) to develop marketing links for horticulture products.
- Support the partner in developing new climate resilient systems for horticultural production and provide training to increase technical capacity for staff.
- Develop managerial & business skills and improve capacity building for farmers groups and producer associations.
- Collaborate with Laos staff in their development of a Project Concept Note for an extended programme, and explore other small grant sources for which the PAFO may apply.
- Contribute to the development of other terms of reference (TORs) or placement descriptions of other volunteers (e.g. short term Business Development and Marketing advisors) as required.
- Contribute to the review and further development of the Cuso International country strategy, exchange information & good practice with other volunteers & colleagues in respective partner organisations.
- Identify gender mainstreaming activities and initiatives that directly tackle issues relating to inclusion (people with disabilities, indigenous minority groups, and people living with HIV/AIDS).
- Degree in Agricultural Sciences / Horticultural Production
- BSc in Economics / Business & Marketing or Agriculture with components in agricultural economics, processing and marketing
- Horticulture production skills and experience- Experience and proven competencies in community development, farmer facilitation and application of new techniques
- Experience of undertaking market analysis or market assessments especially in relation to poor rural communities
- Experience or knowledge of enterprise & business development and / or agri-business for poor rural communities
- Commitment to volunteerism and community participation
- Agriculture/horticulture project implementation experience.
Cuso International covers the following costs:
- Return airfare and visa/permit costs
- Accommodation while overseas
- Modest living allowance while overseas
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- The cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while overseas and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and in-country training orientation
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 12- months