1. Homework helpers: Volunteer with a particular class/grade and help the students complete their homework. Requires patience (especially with the lower grades) and the ability to explain basic academic topics to the students.
2. Garden Volunteers: Volunteers to help maintain our school garden. If interested, could lead a Cool School Garden Club to teach our students about plants, agriculture, sustainable living etc...
3. Personal Interest Volunteers: Volunteers will choose an area of interest to them, then teach it to the students. This can be a one-time presentation or can be an ongoing club. In the past, we had a Photography Club, run by a local college student, and other sites have had Biology Club or Soccer Clubs. Areas that would be neat to bring to Kawana might be: technology, life skills, sports, crafts, arts.
4. One-Time Event Volunteers: volunteers to provide general support to events, including: end-of-year Carnival, Halloween event, Book Drive, Talent Show. These volunteers could run stations, help set-up/clean-up, provide food, etc.
5. Presenters: Volunteers to present at events like: Career Day, Diversity/Multicultural Day, College Panel. These volunteers will tell their stories to students, answer questions, and encourage the students to explore different aspects of their lives/futures.
Other CalSERVES VIP Fellows will also be recruiting for several non-profits in the area. The list above is just volunteers that we are looking for at school sites.
- People Skills
- Reading Comprehension
- Relationship Building
- General Education
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check