HOME Line is seeking bilingual volunteers to assist in the operation of our statewide tenant hotline. Minnesota renters call to get free legal advice on their rental housing problems from attorneys, advocates, and volunteers. In 2015, we took over 14,700 calls from renters, providing legal and practical advice on issues like evictions, security deposits, repairs, leases, bed bugs, and more. Our advice helps Minnesota tenants save money in wrongfully withheld security deposits, fees, and more.
Must have strong verbal communication skills and an interest in low-income tenant advocacy.
Fluency in both English and either Spanish, Somali, or Hmong is preferred.
* Tenant Advocates do not need prior legal experience
* A desire to help others in the community
* Strong communication and interpersonal skills
* Ability to analyze tenant issues through a landlord/tenant law lens, and promptly advise callers with information that is appropriate and accurate for their situation
* Ability to professionally and emotionally manage calls that can sometimes be stressful
* Good judgment and willingness to ask for assistance in advising callers when needed
* Adhere to client confidentiality
Work with HOME Line staff to answer live calls on our tenant hotline, providing accurate and appropriate advice to Minnesota renters.
* Data-enter client records
* Do necessary and relevant legal research & refer callers to other resource organizations as needed
Volunteers will receive
* Extensive training on Minnesota tenant-landlord law from expert attorneys
* Applied knowledge and understanding of tenant-landlord law
* Gain a demonstrated ability to provide support to Minnesota’s nonprofit sector
* Direct legal and client experience
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 50 hour Minimum Time Commitment