AHC is among the largest developers of affordable and mixed-income housing in the Washington-Baltimore metro region. Since 1975, we have worked hard to meet the ongoing need for affordable housing in a highly competitive and very expensive market. Today, the organization has developed or preserved 49 properties providing more than 6,500 affordable, workforce and market-rate apartments.
Our commitment to the communities we serve is deep and ongoing. We take pride in developing quality properties that strengthen neighborhoods.
AHC's Arlington Resident Services program began more than 20 years ago and focuses primarily on comprehensive education programs for elementary through high school students. The program also provides community connections and onsite programs to help adults strengthen their economic stability and build stronger futures for themselves and their families.
The Teen Program for middle and high school students exists to:
- Encourage academic achievement and the identification and development of personal assets and life skills among the students participating
- Encourage the motivation and engagement in learning necessary for students to view their school experiences as positive and productive and see themselves as the shapers of their future
- Encourage college as a viable option for most students after high school and support students who do not plan to attend college to pursue other productive options
- Provide a safe, caring environment where nurturing relationships with adults and other youth build self-confidence and strong social skills.
The Woodbury Park Community Center's Teen Program located at 2335 North 11th Street is in need of volunteer tutors to work one on one or with multiple teens with their school work or studying for the following subject areas, Monday-Wednesday, 6:30-7:30PM during the 2016-2017 school year starting on September 20th 2016. Volunteers are asked to commit to one day a week for an hour for the entire school year. More days or hours are welcomed if volunteers are interested.
2 for Spanish
23 volunteers to support students in different subject areas.
Individuals interested in tutoring should email Cindy Rozon for more information. Kindly specify the community center name and subject area they feel comfortable tutoring.
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1 day a week for 1 hour for the entire school year
- More days or hours are welcomed if volunteers are interested.