Youth & Government Model Legislature & Court Advisor
Work with YMCA Member & Teen Engagement Director (serving as the Lead Advisor) and other volunteer advisors to provide leadership to the 2017-2018 Youth & Government Model Legislature & Court Program (high school civic education leadership). Support the Lead Advisor in the overall management of the delegation and be responsible for overall supervision of delegates.
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Previous experience working with teens preferred.
- A mature, dependable and responsible individual.
- Must possess strong organizational, leadership and group management skills.
- Relates well with teens and enjoys working with high school age youth.
- Be familiar with and dedicated to the mission and four core values (Respect, Responsibility, Honesty & Caring) of the YMCA, the spirit of Y&G and developmental assets.
- Have a basic understanding of the state, judicial and legislative process or be willing to gain general knowledge of such.
- Be a positive role model to delegates and an effective representative of the program
- Be a volunteer in a good standing at the local YMCA or be able to successfully complete YMCA volunteer application and background check process prior to start.
- Support Lead Advisor in recruiting, training and supervising high school youth to form a delegation.
- Support Lead Advisor and the delegates during the weekly meetings (Tuesday evenings).
- Work with delegates to complete their program area pre-work (i.e., authoring proposals, creating legislations, researching the court cases, and etc.) to prepare them for the conferences.
- Actively seek local community and political involvement and support for the delegation.
- Attendance and support for coalition-wide events.
- Ensure that the California YMCA Youth & Government program and local YMCA’s policies are adhered to at all times.
- Attends the following program dates:
- Weekly Meetings: Tuesday’s from 6:30pm-8:00pm
- Advisor Training: TBD
- Bill Hearing Night: TBD (4 hour commitment)
- Conference 1: November 10-12
- Conference 2: January 13-15
- Conference 3: February 15-19
- The health & safety of participants is an ongoing responsibility. Advisors should abide by current accepted YMCA health & safety standards including all child abuse prevention policies and procedures.
- Assure that each delegate attends scheduled sessions during the conferences under the leadership of the Lead Advisor.
- Assist with the general conference advisor duty and attend advisor meetings as necessary (if Lead Advisor is not available).
- Act as a representative of the local YMCA, school and Y&G program.
- Actively support the Y&G program goals and objectives.
- Attend one of the Advisor Certification trainings (i.e., Advisor Development Training or One Day Training)
- Collect and share impact stories and assist in Annual Campaign.
- Child Development
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- YMCA Holiday Event Helper!
- Become a YMCA Youth MENTOR!...
- Change a Life Forever - Become a...
- Change Two Lives - Become A YMCA...
- A Best Friend and A Confidant -...
- Swim Lesson Assistant Volunteer
- Become a YMCA Youth MENTOR and...
- Youth & Government Advisor!
- Be a Mentor with the YMCA!
- YMCA Basketball Coach!