Youth & Government Model Legislature & Court Advisor
Work with YMCA Membership & Teen Engagement Director (serving as the Lead Advisor) and other volunteer advisors to provide leadership to the 2016-17 Youth & Government Model Legislature & Court (high school civic education leadership) Program. Support the Lead Advisor in the overall management of the delegation and be responsible for overall supervision of delegates.
- Be at least 21 years of age (unless written request for waiver has been submitted and approved by the Executive Director of the California YMCA Youth & Government office).
- Previous experience in Y&G, or working with teens preferred.
- A mature, dependable and responsible individual.
- Must possess strong organizational, leadership and group management skills.
- Relate well to and enjoy working with high school age youth.
- Be familiar with and dedicated to the mission and four core values (Respect, Responsibility, Honesty & Caring) of the YMCA, the spirit of Y&G and developmental assets.
- Have a basic understanding of the state, judicial and legislative process or be willing to gain general knowledge of such.
- Be a positive role model to delegates and an effective representative of the program.
Be a volunteer in a good standing at the local YMCA or be able to successfully complete YMCA volunteer application and background check process prior to start.
- other adult volunteers.
- Support Lead Advisor in recruiting, training and supervising high school youth to form a delegation.
- Support Lead Advisor and the delegates during the weekly meetings (Tuesday evenings).
- Work with bill groups to develop a process for bill development and selection. Ensure that appropriate bill formats are followed.
- Work with delegates to complete their program area pre-work (i.e., authoring proposals, creating legislations, researching the court cases, and etc.) to prepare them for the conferences.
- Actively seek local community and political involvement and support for the delegation.
- Attendance and support for coalition-wide events.
- Ensure that the California YMCA Youth & Government program and local YMCA’s policies are adhered to at all times.
- Attend all program conferences September through February.
- The health & safety of participants is an ongoing responsibility. Advisors should abide by current accepted YMCA health & safety standards including all child abuse prevention policies and procedures.
- Assure that each delegate attends scheduled sessions during the conferences under the leadership of the Lead Advisor.
- Assist with the general conference advisor duty and attend advisor meetings as necessary (if Lead Advisor is not available).
- Act as a representative of the local YMCA, school and Y&G program.
- Actively support the Y&G program goals and objectives.
- Attend one of the Advisor Certification trainings (i.e., Advisor Development Training or One Day Training)
- Collect and share impact stories and assist in Annual Campaign.
- Child Development
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21