Children who grow up with books from an early age have improved success in school.
Open Door participates in Reach Out and Read a national literacy program designed to take place at medical offices across the country. Our team of reading volunteers read books aloud to preschool children and help them select a book to take home.
Book Delivery: we need volunteers to take books from our book storage in Ossining to our 4 other health centers located in Port Chester, Sleepy Hollow, Mt. Kisco and Brewster each week.
- Volunteers can select one or more sites to deliver books to
- Commit to delivering the books once each week to the chosen location
- Organize the book cart or book shelf and store additional books where directed
- Book pick up and drop offs would be your choice of day(s) Monday - Friday, between 9:30am - 5:00pm
- It would be okay to pick the books up on one day and deliver the books on another day.
- Advise volunteer coordinator when book storage in Ossining is low on a particular type of books.
- This is a good individual position and would also be a great volunteer position for two friends to take on!
- You need to be in good physical condition.
- The book storage is in the basement, so would not be great for someone with many allergies.
- Volunteer would need to use their own vehicle.
- Complete an on-line Volunteer Application
- All volunteers 18 years and older will have a background check performed by Open Door
- Medical requirements:
- Provide documentation of a physical exam and PPD Test (TB) not older than 12 months
- Provide an immunization record or documentation of blood work for titer levels
- Provide documentation of the seasonal flu vaccine
- Sign a Hepatitis B form
- Have two reference forms completed and submitted directly to Open Door
- Complete an on-line volunteer orientation.
- Complete an on-line safety post-test and a volunteer orientation post-test.
- Sign a Volunteer Service Agreement and Pledge of Confidentiality.
- Please contact Alicia Ward, Open Door Volunteer Coordinator with any questions: email@example.com / 914-502-1468
- Child Development
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- 3-5 hours per week