Become a Volunteer Rape Crisis Hotline Counselor!
Victims Assistance Services is a comprehensive organization that provides free, confidential advocacy, therapy, and assistance with compensation to victims of crime in Westchester County, NY. We are also the county's Rape Crisis Program, meaning we staff a 24-hour crisis hotline available locally and through RAINN, and provide 24/7 response to area hospitals if a sexual assault victim comes into the ER.
We are currently looking for volunteer hotline counselors to cover night and weekend shifts for our 24-hour rape crisis hotline! Hotline counselors provide crucial emotional support and crisis intervention to survivors of sexual assault. They also provide information and referrals to both primary victims as well as other callers, like law enforcement or hospital professionals, or secondary victims like family and friends. Hotline counselors are often the first person to listen and validate the survivor's needs and feelings after an assault.
Are you interested?
- Volunteer hotline counselors must undergo a 30-hour Department of Health training, facilitated in our Elmsford, NY office. That training concludes with an exam, which volunteers need to pass with an 80 percent or better.
- Volunteers take 4 shifts per month - our schedule is very flexible and works easily around work and school schedules!
- Volunteers become part of a growing, thriving activist community: we hold monthly meetings to support and connect with each other, and continuing education is a crucial component of our service to the county.
The next training begins on Thursday, September 22nd, 2016 at 6:00pm in Elmsford.
Please contact Meg King, Rape Crisis Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (914) 345-3113 for more information!
Victims Assistance Services is a component of WestCOP, Inc.
- Crisis Intervention
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- initial training and 4 shifts per month