Masakhane Center is seeking passionate, highly motivated young people to join us as Program Development Interns for 9-months starting in September 2016. During this nine-month time period, interns will work with the Executive Director to plan, implement, and evaluate new sexuality education programming. Interns will work on creating a new program specifically designed for one of the following populations: queer youth, trans and gender non-conforming youth, youth within substance abuse programs, or young parents. People who represent these populations are strongly encouraged to apply, but we accept applications from everyone.
Interns receive extensive training on a variety of sexuality topics and program development skills. This is an unpaid internship, but we work with you to receive college credit. Interns are given real world, hands-on experience in the non-profit community and sexuality education field and the responsibility to directly manage substantive tasks.
- Create and disseminate a community needs assessment.
- Work with local youth on developing a program that caters to their needs and wants.
- Create and implement a workshop series for the specifically chosen population.
- Develop and implement an evaluation system for the created program.
- Create a comprehensive report detailing the results of the program, and present this report to the Board of Directors and local stakeholders.
- Currently pursing or recently completed a degree in Human Sexuality, Public Health, Education, Gender Studies, Social Work or a related field preferred.
- Strong advocate for sex positive education, racial and reproductive justice, and gender and sexual minority rights.
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals and groups of varying backgrounds.
- Ability to travel throughout Newark. Living in or around Newark is a plus but not a requirement.
- Excellent organizational, time management, writing, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Responsible, flexible, creative, reliable and energetic.
- Strong attention to detail.
OUR SCHEDULE AND HOURS
The Program Development Internship starts September 6, 2016 and concludes on June 2, 2017. All interns are required to work at least 15 hours per week and be available from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
To apply, send the following to Stephanie Franklin (email@example.com): 1) completed application, 2) resume, and 3) cover letter with Program Development Internship as the subject line. Only those selected for an interview are contacted (usually within 48 hours). Applications can be found on our website ( www.masakhanecenter.org).
- Teaching / Instruction
- Project Management
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- 15 hours per week