We initially piloted the AsylumConnect catalog (the first online, centralized database for LGBTQ asylum seekers in the U.S.) in Seattle, Washington and in February 2016, we released the catalog 2.0, with new search functions and improved visuals for the Seattle area. We are currently preparing to scale the AsylumConnect catalog to Philadelphia. But we need your help! In the upcoming months, AsylumConnect will be building a local volunteer base in Philly to assist with our local marketing efforts and to help us collect data to evaluate how the catalog is doing in Philly. Volunteers are essential to our operations. Please sign-up here or email Matt Noel, AsylumConnect Director of Human Resources, at: firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our tentative Philly volunteer list to receive updates.
Sample volunteer responsibilities include:
- Drop-off/distribute printed AsylumConnect informational materials (infographics, flyers, etc.) in public spaces as well as to local organizations/providers to then distribute to local LGBTQ asylum seekers
- Assist with organizing and hosting local in-person events (such as group in-person catalog testing events, AsylumConnect presentations to key stakeholders and community members, volunteer forums/meet-and-greets, etc.)
- Help to mobilize other local community members to volunteer for AsylumConnect
- Identify, attend and network at relevant local events to help with local outreach
- Complete other catalog-related tasks as assigned by the AsylumConnect Director of Catalog and Data Manager
*Please email Matt Noel, AsylumConnect Director of Human Resources, at: email@example.com to be added to our tentative Philly volunteer list to receive updates.
*The position is unpaid at this time.
*Everyone living in Philadelphia is welcome to sign-up!
*The time commitment is flexible and based on the schedules of our volunteers.
- People Skills
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- flexible and based on the schedules of volunteers
- Living in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area