Enroot is seeking volunteer tutors to provide 1:1 academic support to Cambridge and Somerville high school students who are enrolled in our program. Enroot empowers students to achieve academic, career, and personal success through inspiring out-of-school experiences. Students attend Cambridge Rindge & Latin School (CRLS) or Somerville High School and are immigrants to the US. Many are from low-income families. Most are the first in their family to consider going to college.
TYPES OF TUTORING
- One-on-one tutoring
- School subjects include:
- English language skills (ESOL)
- Math (pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, precalculus and calculus)
- Science (biology, physics, chemistry)
- Social sciences (social studies, history)
- Standardized test preparation - SAT, TOEFL and MCAS (Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System)
- College applications
- Is caring, consistent, patient and dependable
- Appreciates and celebrates each student's potential
- Is competent in the subject area requested by the tutee
- Is proactive about finding ways to support their tutee’s learning and communicating with program and school staff as needed
- Is 21 or older
All tutors attend a training session where they learn tips and tutoring strategies for working with English language learners from diverse backgrounds.
Tutors meet with their tutee once a week from 6:00-7:30. Cambridge tutors will meet on Wednesdays at 93 Bishop Allen Drive. Somerville tutors will meet on Tuesdays at 81 Highland Ave. Tutors will be trained in September and begin in October.
Please complete our application form on our volunteer page www.enrooteducation.org/get-involved. You will then be invited for an orientation session to learn more about next steps. To learn more about our program, visit our website www.enrooteducation.org
Email us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you!
- Math / Science Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1.5 hours weekly for a semester or academic year