The Hmong Cultural Center provides free English classes to a diverse group of adult learners. Our students come from a wide variety of backgrounds and therefore have different learning needs, which is where you come in!
Literacy tutors primarily work one-on-one or in small groups with students in need of extra assistance, usually at a pre-literacy level. At this level, it is important to use a variety of strategies: slow down and simplify your speech, enunciate clearly, model and demonstrate reading passages and activities, and use repetition.
- Arrive on time and discuss the lesson plan with the classroom teacher.
- Commit to volunteer once a week (about 2 hours) for a minimum of 8 weeks.
- Communicate with fellow tutors by leaving notes in the literacy tutor binder.
- Support students in achieving their educational goals.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability and desire to connect with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Flexibility, positivity, and creativity.
- Understanding of or interest in immigrant and refugee issues.
- Must complete a training session with the Minnesota Literacy Council prior to or within the first two weeks of service.
- Monday-Thursday 10am-12pm or 12:45pm-2pm
- Mondays and Tuesdays 6-8pm (please note that this class takes place at First Baptist Church, 499 Wacouta St.)
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Approximately 2 hours per week
- Complete an MLC tutor training