PURPOSE: To enhance museum guests’ understanding and appreciation of our natural environment. To interact directly with the public by sharing knowledge of the dinosaurs on exhibit as well as other related specimens and by providing excellent customer service to all guests.
If you would like to see the exhibit and all that is included, please refer to this informational video: https://youtu.be/oXHBhPRcqec
- Greet all guests in a friendly, respectful and enthusiastic manner.
- Anticipate and answer guest questions as they arise.
- Represent the museum in a professional and knowledgeable manner at all times.
- Provide accurate and current information of the dinosaurs on exhibit, other related specimens.
- Monitor the area to avoid various problems by preventing running, climbing on rails, throwing objects, or other potentially dangerous actions.
- Help to close the trail at the end of the day following set protocols (3-5pm shift only).
- Adhere to museum policies and procedures.
- Work as a team when other volunteers and staff are on the trail.
- All Virginia Living Museum volunteers must work at least 1 shift per month.
- It is necessary that you report on time when scheduled. If you are not able to attend, it is required that you inform Volunteer Services in advance so that a substitute can be found.
- Strong interest in dinosaurs, or natural sciences.
- Desire to educate others, specifically about dinosaurs and other prehistoric specimens
- Be willing to get hands dirty and handle fossils with care
- Have strong or developing knowledge of facts about the dinosaurs on exhibit.
- Be willing and physically able to walk a ? of a mile long trail.
- Ability to represent the museum in a positive way through attitude, appearance, and actions.
HOW TO APPLY:
Go to www.thevlm.org/join/volunteer/applications
* Email, mail, fax or drop off your application to the VLM (contact info on form).
* Be sure to put "Dinosaur Discovery Trail" or "Exhibit Interpreter" in your preferences and any experience you have in entomology and any area in the natural sciences.
* You’ll come in at the VLM for an interview when your schedule allows.
* The $20 training fee will be collected at on-boarding (post-interview) and it includes your uniform t-shirt, online portal access and all training materials.
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 11
- Orientation or Training
- At least 4 months
- You must be 11 to volunteer (w/ an adult) and 15 to volunteer alone