Roof Raiser preventive maintenance volunteers donate their time and talent helping staff in our member houses take care of their historic collections. Upcoming workshops on November 16th and 17th will train and teach you to assist staff as they perform the preventive maintenance chores that keep their historic collections clean, safe, and accounted for in their period rooms and storage spaces. Preventive maintenance is an ongoing activity that our HHT member houses need ongoing help with. It is the best defense against deterioration and loss of historic collections in our member houses. You’ll be playing a critical role in helping to make sure these wonderful period rooms and collections are here for generations to come!
HOW TO BECOME A ROOF RAISER VOLUNTEER:
1 . Click http://bit.ly/RRCB2016 to register by September 29th
2. Choose ONE training site/day. Lefferts Historic House, Brooklyn (Wednesday, November 16th) or King Manor Museum, Queens (Thursday, November 17th). Workshop will run from 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Space is limited - sign up soon!
3. Take a 1 hour training webinar. YOU WILL BE SENT A LINK FOR THE WEBINAR ON SEPTEMBER 30TH. This 1 hour online course will prepare you for the training day. It will include museum theory, collections care information, the importance of caring for historic houses, and can be completed at your leisure on your own computer up until October 31st. Completion of the training webinar and brief quiz is mandatory for attendance at the training day.
4. Attend the ONE training day you have chosen. You will practice the skills in the period rooms of one of our HHT member historic houses.
5. Sign Up to Volunteer! At the training day, you will sign up for 2 volunteer team days at 2 of our HHT member houses.
6. Congratulations! You will be an official Brigade member and receive opportunities to sign up for future volunteer team days for preventive maintenance help. Important Requirements:
- You must be 18 years of age or older
- You must show a picture ID at training day
- You must be able to climb stairs
- You must be able to volunteer during business hours Monday through Friday
You must be able to travel to at least two of our Member Houses that are in need of Roof Raiser preventive maintenance volunteers.REGISTRATION DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 29, 2016
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Available to volunteer during business hours