Thank you for your interest in joining the Portland Fruit Tree Project Team as our next Communications, Outreach & Office Intern. The intern will primarily support the Communications & Office Coordinator in creating and implementing social media and print/digital media campaigns, writing and editing press releases, and promoting Portland Fruit Tree Project’s programs and events. The intern will also assist with basic office management tasks and occasionally represent PFTP at outreach events.
Time commitment: 12-20 hours per week for 6 months (October 1, 2016 to March 30, 2017) OR 15-25 hours for 3 months (September 19 to December 16, 2016). We can be flexible on exact timing for the right candidate.
Location: You would be working primarily out of PFTP’s headquarters in NE Portland, and occasionally at outreach events throughout the city.
This internship is unpaid, but the rewards are many - including a great learning experience and the unique opportunity to be a part of a vibrant and growing organization, committed to strengthening community and increasing access to fresh food for all.
This intern will...
- Promote events via social media and other outlets
- Assist with preparing (planning, writing, and submitting copy for) monthly newsletters and other database email communications
- Collaborate with Communications & Office Coordinator and Development Team to craft messaging campaigns
- Assist with data entry and database management as it relates to marketing and fundraising efforts
- Create publicity materials and marketing collateral, as needed
- Represent PFTP and our info booth at various outreach events, as needed
- Provide feedback to supervisor and other staff members
- Perform routine office-related tasks, like copying, filing, scanning, and maintaining accurate inventory of supplies
- Potential for additional projects (depending on the intern's skill set, personal interest, and time commitment)
- Familiarity and comfort with computers, including email, MS Office Suite, Google Apps, etc.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with press and community contacts, if needed
- Strong verbal, organizational and writing skills
- Self-motivation and organization, the ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Flexible, adaptable and open to a variety of experiences
- Enthusiasm to learn and develop new skills
- Commitment to the mission/goals of Portland Fruit Tree Project
Desired (but not required) Skills...
- Experience with community outreach, web content/social media
- Facility with a camera and basic photography editing (Photoshop/Illustrator or Gimp/Inkscape)
How to Apply (Please follow each step):
Please submit the following in a single .pdf via email to email@example.com:
- One-page cover letter. Please express why this particular internship is important to you and why you wish to intern at PFTP specifically. Please do not reference anything that is already listed on your resume.
- One-page resume.
- In the subject line of your email, please write "Communications, Outreach & Office Intern," followed by your first and last name.
Applications are due by Tuesday, September 6. If special accommodations are needed, please let us know by or before Wednesday, August 31.
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Social Media / Blogging
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 12-20 hrs/week for 6 mos OR 15-25 hrs for 3 mos