Support overall comprehensive public relations strategy of the American Diabetes Association’s MidAtlantic Region. Partner with staff to oversee a consistent and active communication strategy to all stakeholders for the purposes of program messaging, fundraising, awareness and branding.
This is an action committee and members of the committee are expected to share contacts and help with outreach activities. The region covers New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania (including Philly),Delaware, and NYC.
- Build on current brand and develop creative market outreach programs that will drive new partners and friends.
- Advise staff on strategies and development for various marketing communications channels and web presences including, electronic/social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc), newsletter, website and printed collateral.
- Maintain and build relationships with key industry partners and members of the press in conjunction with staff efforts.
- Investigate and pitch newsworthy stories to media and bloggers.
- Write stories and editorials for online and print.
- Identify key speaking engagements for staff and community to help market and brand the ADA.
Skills and abilities needed to succeed as a member of the Marketing & Communications Taskforce
- Willing and able to make asks on organization’s behalf (ambassadors).
- Honesty, integrity and respect for others.
- Good communications skills; open-minded and articulate.
- Leadership skills.
- Self-confident and outgoing personality.
- Experience developing and implementing marketing strategy.
- Demonstrated interest is the non-profit/social responsibility sector.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Graphic design knowledge
- Comfortable working in a fluid environment and taking initiative and direction.
- Leadership experience in another organization or committee
- Have a network of community/business contacts and willingness to reach out as an ambassador of the organization for awareness and fundraising.
Estimated time commitment and meeting format
- Attend four Committee meetings per year
- Participation in a monthly conference call
- Participation in events, taking part in at least one event or program activity per quarter.
- Develop new skills
- Build resume
- Meet a diverse range of people.
- Help make a difference in the day-to-day life of people affected by diabetes
The American Diabetes Association is leading the fight to Stop Diabetes and its deadly consequences and fighting for those affected by diabetes. The Association funds research to prevent, cure and manage diabetes; delivers services to hundreds of communities; provides objective and credible information; and gives voice to those denied their rights because of diabetes. Founded in 1940, our mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.
If you are interested or have questions, please contact Doreen Pustizzi at Dpustizzi@diabetes.org
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Public Relations
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- Professional Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- a few hours a month