With 150+ buildings open this year, and two volunteers at each building for each of the four shifts, 1,200 volunteers will make the event run smoothly.
Volunteers provide essential support during the event by ensuring that visitors are properly greeted and informed.
Volunteer Greeters can be found stationed at the entrance to all sites controlling admission, answering questions and tracking visitor attendance. Greeters typically work one 4-hour shift, which leaves plenty of time to explore the city for the remainder of the weekend.As a DOORS OPEN volunteer you would commit to:
- Attending a 1-hour orientation session to prepare you for your volunteer experience (see details below)
- Working one or more 4-hour shifts at one of over a hundred and fifty buildings, from either 9:30 AM to 1:30 PM, or 1:30 PM to 5:30 PM
ALL volunteers are expected to attend one of the four volunteer orientation sessions.
As policies and procedures change each year, we want you to be fully prepared and comfortable in your role to help make this a successful event for all patrons.
The same training session is held at various times to give volunteers an option that works best for their schedules.
- Thursday, August 24: 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm (Central Library’s Centennial Hall)
- Saturday, August 26: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm (Central Library’s Centennial Hall)
At the orientation sessions you will:
- Hear more about DOORS OPEN Milwaukee and meet other volunteers and DOORS OPEN staff
- Learn what is new for DOORS OPEN Milwaukee in 2017
- Understand what is expected of you as a DOORS OPEN Volunteer and ask questions about the volunteer experience
- Pick up the DOORS OPEN Volunteer badge that identifies you as an official DOORS OPEN Volunteer and grants you front-of-the-line access at participating sites
Volunteers work one or more 4-hour shifts to help out in a variety of ways, which may include:
- Greet visitors at a building site entrance and briefly tell them what to expect at that particular site
- Track visitor attendance
- Distribute event program guides
- Stamp children’s building passports
- Ask visitors to sign-up for Historic Milwaukee Inc.’s mailing list
- Solicit donations to maintain DOORS OPEN as a FREE event
- Work with buildings owners and managers to ensure that visitors follow any necessary building requirements
- The opportunity to meet others who share your interest in architecture, design, history, and Milwaukee’s built environment
- The ability for you and a guest to advance to the front of the line at any participating weekend site with your Volunteer badge
Fill out our online volunteer registration. Here, you will have the ability to provide general information and specify your availability. Once you have completed all the required fields, click submit to complete your volunteer registration. All registrants are automatically signed-up to volunteer for DOORS OPEN Milwaukee. The DOORS OPEN Volunteer Coordinator may follow-up to clarify any information, will send a reminder of orientation sessions, and will provide you with your DOORS OPEN weekend volunteer assignment(s) in early September.What if I have questions?
Send your questions via email to Jocelyn, the DOORS OPEN Milwaukee Volunteer Coordinator
Sign up here to VOLUNTEER
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours
- Orientation session