Volunteer Academic Tutors and Dance Teachers Needed for a Non-profit Organizationat the Garraway Performing Arts Center located in Pasadena, CA.
Employment Type: Volunteer
Volunteers are needed for our dance/ mentorship program that also provides academic tutoring to our participants. Our goal is to assist students with their homework ranging from middle school to high school grade levels, while also providing mentorship and dance instruction. This is a great volunteer experience that can develop interpersonal skills, communication skills, teamwork, and mentoring qualities.We are currently looking for homework tutors to support individual and group homework instruction, as well as dance instructors in various dance styles.
The official launch of our programming will begin in September 2016, and interviews are being scheduled now.
Dance instruction and tutoring/mentoring will be held at one of two locations;
- The Alkebulan Cultural Center
- The Jackie Robinson Center Park, both located in Northwest Pasadena, CA.
Responsibilities: As a volunteer academic tutor, your task is to aid elementary and high school students in academic subject areas that you will be assigned to, based off of your expertise. Tutors are expected to have strong tutoring abilities and interpersonal skills.Subject areas include and are not limited to:
- Foreign Languages
- Social Studies
These courses can range from basic to advance level courses, such as honors and Advanced Placement courses.***Tutors are expected to be responsible for teaching study skills by way of assisting students with their daily homework tasks. Tutors must have:
- The ability to maintain discipline and act appropriately.
- The ability to be flexible with teaching methods.
- The ability to provide a fun and engaging experience for students.
- Apply creative problem solving techniques.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- High school applicants: A current junior or senior grade level, with a copy of most recent transcript.
- College applicants: A copy of most recent transcript from a community college or university.
- 1-2 years of teaching or tutoring experience is preferred but not mandatory.
- Strong skills in academic areas selected.
- Good rapport with youth and peers, as well as strong leadership skills.
- Ability to speak multiple languages is desirable but not required.
- LifeScan Fingerprinting is REQUIRED , and will need to be processed prior to the start date.
- TB test is REQUIRED , and is the volunteer’s responsibility to obtain.
About The Garraway Performing Arts Center
Mission Statement: The Garraway Performing Arts Center is a newly established non profit performing arts and mentorship program with the mission of providing youth a safe and inspiring environment to develop their minds, passions, core values, and leadership skills through the attributes of dance.The Garraway Performing Arts Center is a fully approved 501 c3 non-profit organization, managed by a board of experienced professionals.
Vision: To equip young individuals with the leadership skills needed to matriculate successfully into adulthood and demonstrate the power to transform and awaken the human soul through artistic expression. We also seek to provide a supportive environment where our participants can explore and discover their innate gifts and talents through mentorship.
Services: The Garraway Performing Arts Center plans to implement the following services to all participants:
- Dance Instruction - Various styles of dance instruction with related field trips. All instruction will be taught by experienced performance artists. The levels of instruction will vary from beginning performance artists to the more seasoned senior professional performers.
- Mentoring/Academic Tutoring - Academic tutors and peer-to-peer mentoring are available for participants seeking assistance with academics. GPAC is focused on providing quality educational support to ensure academic success.
- Youth Services
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- TB test and LiveScan