Catamount Institute is seeking dynamic individuals who love the outdoors and have a passion for education and the environment!
Our volunteers are the friendly faces here during field trips and school programs. All Catamount Institute volunteer naturalists go through a training process which begins with an evening orientation (scheduled throughout the year) and then followed by several observations of other volunteer educators and Catamount Institute Educators in action.
As a Volunteer at Catamount Institute, you will learn many facets of environmental education as you train on the grounds of the 100-acre park where our offices are located.
You will learn how to be an interpreter of information and will feel comfortable answering a wide diversity of questions. Some volunteer educators lead activities on their own or as a pair. Lessons happen in Colorado Springs but sometimes we travel to other picturesque locations such as Muller State Park or Aiken Canyon Nature Preserve.
What does Catamount Institute look for in a volunteer?
* Desire and enthusiasm for sharing nature with children
* Strong oral communication skills
* Ability to commit to volunteer time during the school day (various times, Monday-Friday, 8am-3pm)
* Willingness and preparedne ss to work in all types of weather with varying temperatures, as well as indoors
* Ability to hike and explore up to 2-3 mile, off trail, over uneven meadow and forest, for 2-3 hours
* Must pass a background check with the Catamount Institute and local school districts
* Appreciation for the natural world and spending time outdoors
- Watch students from diverse backgrounds experience the awe and wonders of the natural world
- Work with a team of dedicated and passionate staff and volunteers who share similar interests
- Acquire nature observation skills such as animal tracking and plant and wildlife identification
- Learn about natural history of the Pike’s Peak region
- Develop communication techniques to successfully work with youth and the public
- Outdoor Recreation
- Teaching / Instruction
- General Education
- Environmental Science
- Child Development
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 2 to 4 hours at least once a week for 3 months
- Have a passion for the outdoors and protecting our environment