Volunteer Internship Summary:
The Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA) is now accepting applications for unpaid Conservation & Science Volunteer Internship positions. The Conservation & Science Volunteer Interns may have the opportunity to assist with the production of Animal Care Manuals, the FrogWatch USA citizen science program, the Conservation Grants Fund, AZA Animal Programs Sustainability Reports, AZA SAFE: Saving Animals From Extinction initiative, and the Annual Report on Conservation and Science.
The Conservation & Science Volunteer Interns will interact with AZA Program Leaders and Taxonomic Advisory Groups, conduct literature reviews, and work under the guidance of the Conservation & Science Department Staff. Opportunities to take part in related events (e.g., lectures, conservation events, etc.) may arise and offer valuable experience. These unpaid volunteer internships are offered on a full-time basis for a 3-month duration between February to May 2017, although some scheduling flexibility is available.
- A current college student or recent graduate (within the past year)
- Willing to dedicate 40 hours per week to the unpaid internship
- Able to secure housing within a commutable distance to the Silver Spring, MD office
- Strong interest in volunteering to advance the missions of zoos and aquariums
- High motivation and be detail oriented
- Ability to multi-task and strong communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Internet research skills and knowledge of Microsoft applications
- Professional demeanor
Founded in 1924, and located in Silver Spring, MD, the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the advancement of accredited zoos and aquariums in the areas of animal care, wildlife conservation, education and science ( www.aza.org). AZA isAmerica's leading accrediting organization for zoos and aquariums, and accredits only those institutions that have achieved rigorous standards for animal care, education, wildlife conservation and science.
AZA offers a positive work environment conducive to gaining beneficial career and networking experience. AZA will support the volunteer intern in obtaining college credit for this internship if desired and will strive to coordinate the Internship schedule with the college schedule.
Email resume and cover letter to:
- Data Entry
- Resource Development / Management
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 3 months
- Full-Time Position