The community health worker (CHW) is responsible for providing culturally-sensitive health navigation services to help patients and their families navigate and access community services and resources within the healthcare system, while guiding them to adopt healthy behaviors. CHWs will work primarily with immigrant families in Sunset Park, many who have limited access to healthcare. The CHW supports AMPHS clinicians, the supervising social worker and program coordinator by providing an integrated system of support services that promotes and maintains healthy behaviors and addresses the social determinants of health affecting the local community. Primary function areas include social service counseling and translation, advocating for individuals and community health needs, and facilitating community outreach workshops.
* Provide culturally-appropriate direct services, such as social service counseling, social support, care
coordination and case management under the supervision of Social Worker and working closely with
* Provide ongoing follow-up, basic motivational interviewing, and goal-setting with community members
and their families.
* Advocate for individual and community needs by locating support and needed services and articulating
those needs to partner organizations.
* Coach patients in effective management of their chronic health conditions and self-care.
* Provide culturally-sensitive health education, information and outreach in community-based settings,
including, but not exclusive to the AMPHS center, schools, community centers, senior centers,
community board meetings, local businesses, shelters, etc.
* Organize community presentations and workshops on health access.
* Conduct outreach and presentations to spread awareness about AMPHS services.
* Research and develop multilingual materials on disease prevention, wellness, nutrition, and health
* Organize and/or facilitate peer support groups.
* Build organizational capacity to expand resource network and address social determinants of health.
* Manage a regularly assigned caseload of community members who attend AMPHS open clinic hours
once per week and record patient care management information in EMR system no later than 24 hours
* May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
* Preference given to candidates with a bachelors degree or higher.
* Successful completion of a Community Health Worker formal training program such as from a college or
other education institution is preferred, but not required. AMPHS will provide initial training and CHW is
also expected to participate in additional training during their tenure.
* Written and oral fluency in Spanish and English and/or Chinese and English required.
* Experience working in a multi-cultural setting.
* Experience working in a community-based setting with prior organizing or advocacy experience
* Knowledge of some medical terminology preferred, but not required.
* Basic computer skills and knowledge in Microsoft Office.
* Good communication skills, such as listening well, and using language appropriately.
* Ability and willingness to provide emotional support, encouragement and motivation to patients.
- Cantonese / Mandarin
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 15-20 Hours a Week; Saturday Required
- Bachelors Degree