Special Events Interns work closely with South Bronx United’s Executive Director in planning and managing nonprofit fundraising events with a focus on SBU’s Annual Benefit. The Annual Benefit, which raised over $50,000 last year, represents a significant and essential portion of SBU’s operating budget allowing SBU to keep pace with growing programming needs of Bronx youth.
Exact hours are flexible and will fluctuate according to key periods with more hours likely needed immediately prior to the Benefit in early November.
SBU Office, 594 Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY 10451. Work can often be done remotely if needed.
Along with possessing a passion for supporting non profit work and serving urban youth, an intern should have strong communication and writing skills and comfort using Microsoft Excel and Google Documents. Additionally, an ideal candidate should have or be working towards a BA in communications, non profit management, marketing or another related field, as well as experience in event planning and/or fundraising.
10-15 hours a week, one semester. The workload of the position is expected to fluctuate around key periods, but is often flexible for a candidate to choose their hours.
All interns will be trained, supervised by the Executive Director.
While the position is unpaid, interns have the opportunity to see the inner workings of a small but growing non profit and the process of planning and managing a major fundraising event.
Responsibilities in Detail:
* Support the SBU Benefit Committee and Supporters Clubs in planning and promoting events (annual benefits, charity cup, happy hour fundraisers, volunteer recognition events)
* Interns help solicit donations for events (venue, food, drinks, auctions items, etc), managing event logistics (catering, registration, recruiting and training volunteers, music, awards program, etc.) and creating event materials (save the date, evite, sponsor letters)
* Create financial reports for event
* Managing social media and appropriate mainstream media
- Event Planning / Management
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15 hours/week
- Resume and brief cover letter
- Non Profit Development Intern
- Travel Soccer Coach and Mentor
- Coed U6 Recreational soccer coach
- U8 Recreational soccer coach
- College Prep Tutor
- College Prep Mentor 2016-2017
- Education Internship - Fall 2016
- Communications Internship - Fall...
- Special Events Internship - Fall...
- ESOL Tutor 2016-2017
- PSAT/SAT Prep - Verbal & Writing...
- College Advisory Internship -...
- After School Soccer Coach...
- Immigrant Youth Coach & Mentor
- PSAT/SAT Prep - Math Tutor
- Youth Soccer Coach...
- Academic Coach (After School...