South Bronx United Education Interns work closely with SBU educational staff in coordinating and supervising the SBU After School Tutoring Program. The program provides homework help and academic enrichment activities for approximately 80 youth ages 10-15. Interns work 3-5 days a week from 3:45-6:45 pm and get hands on experience administering an educational program, counseling and tutoring youth, and developing educational resources. The internship is perfect for those looking to gain experience in the fields of education or school counseling.
Fall Internship: September - early December
Spring Internship: mid/late January - May
The Urban Assembly School for Careers in Sports, 2nd Floor, Mott Haven Campus, 730 Concourse Village West, Bronx, NY 10451.
Enthusiastic and caring with a specific interest in social work, counseling, and youth empowerment. Should have a background in working with youth. Education, social work, psychology, sociology, or related majors are preferred. No soccer background necessary.
A minimum of 3 days a week from 3:45-6:15, Monday-Friday for at least one semester (NY public school semester, not college semester).
All interns will receive training from our Director of Education and Youth Counselor prior to working in the classroom.
While the position is unpaid, interns have the opportunity to work directly with veteran educators and a licensed mental health counselor in an educational setting. Interns will get hands on experience in developing learning resources, managing a classroom, and working with students who have the greatest educational and/or emotional needs.
Interns assist in three major program areas. Depending on the specific interests and skill set of the intern the job can be focused on one or more of these areas:
* Provide tutoring to youth within the program with a focus on Special Education students
* Support staff with classroom management
* Help build the database of educational resources and develop lesson plans
* Support the Education Director in building a middle school curriculum
* Track student behavioral incidents and progress
* Organize and maintain classroom space, program records and academic resources
* Support staff in tracking academic progress at tutoring and school
* Assist with volunteer recruitment and management
* Help resolve conflicts between youth and manage behavior
* Work with youth in setting behavioral goals
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 3 days/week from Mon-Fri (3:45-6:15PM)
- Resume and brief cover letter
- Travel Soccer Coach & Mentor
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Travel Soccer Coach and Mentor
- SAT Prep Tutor
- Coed U6 Recreational soccer coach
- College Prep Tutor
- College Prep Mentor 2017-2018
- Education Internship
- Regents Prep Tutor
- YOUTH SOCCER COACH MENTOR, SOUTH...
- Summer Soccer Scholars Coaching...
- Team Mentor & Coach - Americorps...
- Special Events Internship - Fall...
- ESL Tutor 2017-2018
- PSAT/SAT Prep - Verbal & Writing...
- Soccer Coach & Team Mentor -...
- College Advisory Internship -...
- After School Soccer Coach...
- Summer Scholars Teaching...
- Girls Soccer Coach & Mentor