The American Heart Association is seeking an Advocacy Intern for Fall 2016 to work in our Little Rock office. Resumes will be accepted until August 31, 2016. Please find the position description listed below:
American Heart Association - Little Rock Office
Advocacy Intern Job Description
Functional Title: Advocacy Intern
Term of Internship: Fall 2016 (unpaid)
Location:American Heart Association Little Rock Location- 909 W 2 ndStreet, Little Rock, AR 72201
Reports to: Government Relations Director/Grassroots Director/Local Policy Manager/Local Grassroots Manger
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Assists in legislative, policy research and grassroots work. Shadow staff serving as liaison between the American Heart Association and governmental / legislative entities and advocates. May plan, assign, and/or supervise the work of volunteers. Daily work and duties would be done with minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Daily tasks would include:
- Analyzing tracking reports;
- Monitoring committee hearings (online & in person);
- Attending meetings;
- Assisting with tracking news articles in local papers;
- Attending meetings & press conferences on AHA issues;
- Conducting and analyzing political research on our policy issues
- Assist in recruiting volunteers for our You’re The Cure network
- Assisting with blog and social media content
- Assisting with Advocating for Heart Days.
Experience and Education
Experience working with federal advocacy, state legislative, or local government activities is preferred but not required. Volunteer management experience preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the federal and state legislative process, regulatory process and state and local government administration.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Skill in compiling, evaluating, and presenting legislative information, in problem-solving, and in policy analysis and research.
- Ability to participate in meetings, work in a team environment and interact with all levels of AHA staff, volunteers and public.
If interested please send resume to Allison.Hogue@heart.org.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Orientation or Training