Job Title: AmeriCorps (VIP) Fellow with Outside the Lens
Schedule: Full time - contract position (11 months)
Hours per Week: 40 hours per week / 1700 hours total
Term of Service: September 2016 - August 2017
Position Overview: AmeriCorps Volunteer Infrastructure Project (VIP) places a member with Outside the Lens to be trained and coached to become a volunteer engagement coordinator. This OTL VIP fellow will assist in the recruiting, training, and managing of volunteers at Outside the Lens. Outside the Lens strives to enlist a balance of high value youth volunteers and high value community member volunteers who participate in a wide range of projects throughout the year. As part of the responsibilities of volunteer coordination, the VIP Fellow will oversee OTL’s High School Youth Council, a service and leadership development program for high school youth. The VIP Fellow also has the opportunity to work as a Media Educator in one of OTL’s outreach classrooms, teaching a weekly photography and digital media class to elementary, middle or high school students.
- $15,000 living allowance
- Health coverage
- Access to subsidized childcare
- Student Loan deferment eligibility
- Five personal leave days and ten sick days
- Educational Award of $5,550 upon successful completion of term of service
OTL VIP Fellow will:
- Develop and implement innovative strategies for volunteer recruitment, retainment, and recognition.
- Onboard and place volunteers in appropriate openings.
- Present Outside the Lens volunteer/internship opportunities to local colleges, universities, high schools and community events to recruit volunteers throughout the year.
- Outreach to employers, local businesses, and community organizations to recruit volunteers and expert advisors (long & short term).
- Implement volunteer tracking system to track volunteer hours and update volunteer profiles.
- Train and supervise short term and long-term volunteers.
- Provide guidance for volunteers while serving side-by-side to improve the volunteer experience.
- Create and distribute monthly volunteer E-newsletter for volunteer opportunities and volunteer highlights.
- Assist with in-classroom volunteer management.
- Supervise and train our youth volunteers through OTL’s high school Youth Council.
- Oversee monthly meetings for Youth Council volunteers.
- Assist staff in identifying volunteer projects and needs through ongoing communication.
- Represent Outside the Lens at community events
- Assists in the creation of marketing materials for the Volunteer Program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A commitment to Outside the Lens’ mission.
- Interest and/or a background in community service and volunteerism.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- A self-starter who takes initiative.
- Dependable, flexible and thrives in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment.
- Occasional events that take place on nights and weekends
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and responsibilities.
- Leadership and interpersonal skills needed to work effectively with a team
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to approach situations creatively.
- Able to positively represent Outside the lens in a variety of settings, including recruitment opportunities, staff meetings, trainings, classrooms and special events
- Comfortable giving presentations to large groups
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must provide current photo ID, identity and employment authorization
- Must follow the AmeriCorps Code of Conduct while serving
Outside the Lens (OTL) empowers youth to use photography and digital media to create change within themselves, their community and the world. Students (K-12) tell their unique personal stories through photography, video and other digital media forms under the guidance of Media Educators and Teaching Artists. Since 2001, OTL has served over 13,500 youth in a variety of educational settings including weekly classes, afterschool programs, summer sessions, workshops and teacher trainings. We target at-risk and underserved youth and work with students in elementary, middle, and high school. In 2015, Outside the Lens was certified by Points of Light as a Service Enterprise: an organization that fundamentally leverages volunteers and their skills across all levels of the organization to successfully deliver on its social mission.
For more information visit www.outsidethelens.org.
- Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "AmeriCorps VIP". No phone calls, walk-ins or recruiters, please.
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 35 hours/week