Mahar House in Wilmington Ca is looking for high students, college students, adults, professionals, and seniors that want to provide one-on-one homework help to elementary school students. The majority of the kids come from Spanish-speaking homes where the parents cannot provide the assistance they need to complete their work. This disadvantage sets them behind academically and leads to drop outs at an early age. Mahar House- MY CLUB provides tutoring, mentoring, and enrichment activities.
The program will begin August 16th, and will run Monday- Friday from 3-6pm. Volunteer hours are flexible.
This is what our schedule will be like:
3:00-3:15 pm- Snack
3:15-4:30 pm- homework/ tutoring (one on one)
4:30- 4:45pm- free outdoor time
4:45-5:45 pm- enrichment activities (sports, arts, music, cultural, guest speakers, computers, etc)
5:45- 6:00pm- parent pick up
Mondays: Arts- arts and crafts, music , dance
Tuesdays: Sports coaching- working on technique, drills, or introducing new outdoor game to play as a group
Wednesday: Explore Day- computer lessons, cultures, careers, guest speakers
Thursday: Sports fun day
Friday: Surprise day- talent show, skits, movie, games, show and tell, etc.
- Literacy / Reading
- Sports Coaching
- General Education
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 13
- Orientation or Training
- Maintence at Children's Learning...
- Help Immigrants Become Citizens...
- Donate your cleaning services to...
- Mentors needed for 4th and 5th...
- Become an Immigration Workshop...
- Help elementary school students...
- Outdoor recreational activities...
- Help Refugees! Donate Household...
- Help Immigrant Youth With Their...
- Help a child with Math or...