World Vision, a Christian Humanitarian Organization is currently accepting volunteer applicants for our Mobile Teacher Resource Center [MTRC]. Our MTRC is a converted short bus outfitted for the distribution of school supplies to go to Title 1 schools in the five boroughs of NYC and beyond. We are looking for volunteers to join us in spreading some back-to-school cheer to the most vulnerable children in the city.
What you’ll be doing:
- Riding all over New York City in our bus, sometimes for 2-3 hours a trip to bring school supplies to underserved children.
- You’ll enter the classrooms, celebrate the children [and the teachers] and pass out the school supplies and administer lots of high fives.
- After some photo ops, you’ll hop back into the bus and head to the next school. You will never be required to drive the bus, but may have to help give driving directions.
The red tape:
- Our distribution dates vary. Ideally we’re looking for a student, retiree or someone with a nontraditional work schedule. Most of our distributions will happen during the workweek during working hours.
- MTRC volunteers must have the ability to bend, lift, carry and move packages up to 50 pounds. This may include carrying heavy objects up several flights of stairs.
- All MTRC volunteers will undergo a background and reference check as they’ll be working directly with children & youth.
- This volunteer opportunity is short lived and will only be 6-8 weeks. After that, you can decide if you’d like to volunteer at our site in the Bronx or hang up your hat until next year. No hard feelings.
- People Skills
- General Education
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Must be willing to commit to a few days
- Must have week day availability.