Summary of Position: Assist Girls Inc. instructors as they facilitate local and national curriculum to girls in Elementary Programs (grades 1-5) or Middle School Programs (grades 6-8).
- Assist instructors with the delivery of class curriculum.
- Facilitate workshops and activities for participants as needed and assist with the development of program activities.
- May be required to attend field trips, prepare and distribute snack, set-up and clean classrooms, and perform administrative tasks as needed.
- Maintain a positive environment for all girls through discipline, classroom management and inclusiveness.
- May be asked to be a substitute volunteer in other classes as needed.
- Provide creative supervisory support during free-time periods.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proactive, outgoing, enthusiastic and dependable
- Experience working with children or teens preferred but not required
- Ability to demonstrate and facilitate various activities with girls age 6-15
- Able to regularly communicate by e-mail
- Able to interact positively with a variety of people with various cultural backgrounds and economic experiences.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred but not required
- Committed to our mission
Time Commitment: Fall programs run from August 22 to December 15, 2016. Volunteers must be able to commit to at least two 3.5-hour shifts per week for the entire fall semester. Program hours are Monday-Friday from 3-6:30pm.
Orientation and Training: One full day of training is required prior to working with girls:
- New Volunteer Orientation and Training + 'Embracing Inclusiveness at Girls Inc. and Beyond:’ Saturday, Aug. 20 th from 8:45am-5pm
- A light breakfast and full lunch will be provided; lunch is on site.
- Thank you for understanding that we do not make exceptions to this being a required training. It is offered only three times a year (January, June and August).
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- 1 or 2 shifts, each 3.5 hours, each week
- Complete our online application: http://www.girlsincdenver.org/volunteer-application.html