69 people are interested
Volunteer Tutors for ESL and GED Classes
ORGANIZATION: THE LEARNING SOURCE
Please visit the new page to apply.
69 people are interested
Must 'attend' an orientation and training, which are offered both in-person OR on Zoom. The Learning Source focuses on two main areas of programming. Volunteer tutors assist our instructors to support our adult learners in the classroom:
High School Equivalency (GED) - prepares adult learners to pass tests in Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, an Science to achieve their High School Equivalency Diploma through onsite instruction, small group work, or individualized coursework.
English Language Learning (ESL) - teaches six levels of English proficiency with focus on reading, understanding, and speaking English fluently by the completion of the third level. instruction focused on giving non-native English speaking adults proficiency in spoken English, reading and writing. Over 35 different languages are spoken. We are also looking for volunteers to help lead English Conversation Circles at our partner libraries.
We have 30+ locations that need volunteers. You can visit www.thelearningsource.org to get more information on our locations.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have High School diploma or equivalent
- Uses email
- Must submit to and successfully pass a background check (no expense)
- 2-3 hours per week for a 15-week semester (Fall = Sept - Dec, Spring = Jan - May, Summer = July - Aug)
- Participate in a positive learning experience for adults in our programs
- Adherence to our TLS values, vision, and mission
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About THE LEARNING SOURCE
929 29th St., Denver, CO 80226, US
The Learning Source promotes and provides educational opportunities through collaborative partnerships for adults and families to support their future achievements.
Founded in 1964 by Sister Cecilia Linenbrink, The Learning Source began in a church basement with only 40 students, 16 volunteers, and no paid staff. Today, it is one of the oldest and largest adult education agencies in the state of Colorado.
The Learning Source serves over 2000 adult learners annually in Denver, Arapahoe, Jefferson, Douglas, Adams, and most recently, Boulder counties with the support of 65 staff and 132 volunteers. The Learning Source’s mission, to promote and provide educational opportunities through collaborative partnerships for adults and families to support their future achievements, is at the cornerstone of its success-providing services in areas of greatest need in collaboration with community partners and resources.
The Learning Source provides services at low to no cost to adult learners ages 17 and older facing barriers to education, including issues related to generational poverty, social justice issues, and unemployment. The Learning Source programs are designed to support communities of greatest need to serve adults from the early stages of literacy through college transition. These programs include:
- High School Equivalency Preparation
- College and Workplace Transitions
- English as a Second Language
- Family Literacy
- Corrections High School Equivalency Preparation
- English Conversation Circles
- English for College and Career
Multiple locations Denver, CO 80205
May 31, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 hours per week for 15-week semester
- High School Diploma or Equivalent