"Every Kid in a Park" (EKIP) is an environmental education program that connects fourth-grade students to Everglades National Park. Thanks to our volunteers, we can welcome over 70 fourth-grade classes to the park!
Volunteers will be stationed at one of five "field lab" tables on topics including alligators, birds, hydrology system, invasive species, and periphyton/sawgrass.
The EKIP Program will run four days a week, Monday-Thursday, from mid-October to mid-March. Each program day will last approximately 4 hours, plus travel. Locations for this program include Royal Palm (40001 State Road 9336, Homestead, FL 33034) and Shark Valley (36000 SW 8th Street, Miami, FL 33194).
All volunteers must attend a mandatory training session on either September 9th or October 7th. The training sessions will be held from 9:30-4:30 at ZooMiami.
General duties may include the following:
- Assist with the setup and cleanup of lab stations
- Staff a field lab station on one of the following topics: alligators, birds, hydrology system, invasive species, and periphyton/sawgrass
- Present to student groups (~10 children plus a chaperone), as they rotate through field stations
- Volunteers may give their short presentation up to 10 times per day
- At least 18 years of age
- Valid driver’s license
- Willing and able to commute to your assigned location
- Interested in learning about the Everglades and relevant topics
- Excited to share their knowledge with fourth-grade students
- Able to attend one of the training dates: September 9th and October 7th
Benefits to Volunteers
- Volunteers will receive an official uniform (polo shirt, hat and name tag)
- Meet and work alongside National Park Service Rangers and other program volunteers
- Opportunity to learn more about Everglades National Park and park divisions
- Training: NPS background, site tour, site history, curriculum to be covered
- Opportunities to gain volunteer recognition items, based on cumulative service
To learn more, visit http://go.nps.gov/everykid
- People Skills
- General Education
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 day/week, mid-October through mid-March