AmeriCorps is an 11-month service commitment that meets a community’s critical needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment. Youth Policy Institute partners with AmeriCorps to provide full-time service opportunities in our schools across Los Angeles. Supporting communities’ critical needs in education, YPI AmeriCorps (Promise Corps) members dedicate 1700 hours of volunteer service per term in exchange for leadership and career development, and a living stipend provided by our AmeriCorps grant. AmeriCorps is an exciting opportunity for service-minded individuals who are passionate about education and the nonprofit sector. For more information, please visit www.americorps.gov.
The Promise Corps Member will serve full time (completing 1700 hours of service) over the course of 11 months, working closely with high school students and families to ensure that students graduate with strong skill sets, and develop awareness of paths and challenges related to postsecondary opportunities.
The Promise Corps members will work with students in grades 10-12, who have been identified as needing support. Each member will be assigned a host school and will work with guidance counselors, teachers and other school personnel to develop long and short term plans leading to postsecondary entry. Services begin with five introductory workshops for a baseline understanding of postsecondary options. CCA AmeriCorps members will conduct individual advising sessions with students and develop a plan that will lead to one of the five postsecondary options.
Post-Secondary Planning and Support
● Provide engaging small group workshops and 1:1 sessions to improve students’ knowledge of post-secondary options and requirements
● Will work with up to 40 students to ensure each has an Individual Service Plan
● Create programming in areas such as post-secondary education options, Four Systems of Higher Education, college application process, financial aid, and career exploration
● Work with school staff and teachers to implement the Individual Service Plan model and workshop series.
● Facilitate interest assessments to identify student interests and post-secondary options
● Maintain student information and records by tracking, logging and entering workshop/1:1 hours / time spent with students in database
● Develop field trips and events that include college field trips, providing financial aid application assistance in FAFSA Super Saturday workshops, and a graduation ceremony.
● Design, coordinate, and implement parent workshops at target school sites
● Provide tutoring and homework support under direction of teachers with a focus on STEM.
● Members will coach students around short and long-term academic goals by reviewing alongside students transcripts and report cards
● Work closely with partner teacher(s) and other school staff to identify the right supports for individual students
● Participate in school trainings and meetings
Other duties including but not limited to:
● Service project development
● Coordination of college and other campus visits for students
● Participation in member development (included but not limited to trainings, professional development, workshops)
● Complete 1700 national service hours over 10 months
● Attend a "Swearing in" and "Graduation" Ceremony
● Maintain a commitment to understanding the Promise Corps program model, and current educational best practices
● Be at least 17 years of age, have a high school diploma, and possess US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
● Pass Tuberculosis Skin Test
● Clear a National Criminal History Check, California Criminal History Check, Criminal History Check in your current state of residence (if different than California), and National Sex Offender Registry check
● Served less than 4 terms of any length in another AmeriCorps State or National Program
● AmeriCorps, Peace Corp or other national service experience
● Have experience volunteering with other community based or education programs
● Commitment to YPI / Promise Corps mission and vision
● Interest in working with school-age children and teens
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Proven ability to manage tasks and schedule independently
● Demonstrated success with constituent relations skills (volunteers, teachers, parents)
● Flexibility and adaptability to manage tasks in a fluid and ambiguous environment
● Access to reliable transportation (public transportation or personal transport) to travel within a defined geographic region
● Experience working with diverse communities
● Bachelor’s Degree
● Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with school personnel, after school personnel, program
officers, evaluators, parents, students and community professionals
● Ability to coordinate programming in areas such as post-secondary education options, financial aid, career exploration through workshops, events, individual and small group counseling and classroom presentation
● Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus
● CPR/First Aid certification is a plus
This position is part of the AmeriCorps service program. As an AmeriCorps member, you will serve your community through YPI’s Promise Corps and receive a modest living stipend of at least $12,000 during your term (dispersed in bi-weekly paychecks), as well as health benefits. Childcare assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify. You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans. AmeriCorps Members will have an allotment of personal days throughout the year.
Additionally, at the successful completion of your service term, you are eligible for an education award of approximately $5,775 to be used for college, trade school or other educational expenses, including qualified federal loans. For more information, please visitwww.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps.
SCHEDULE Monday through Friday 10-12 hours a day depending on the school bell schedule, ranging anywhere between 6:00am-7:00pm. Additional evening and weekend hours as needed.
YPI’s mission is to create opportunities for low-income families and communities through technology, education and training services.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- 11 month service commitment